Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of this since before I bought my Ex. I personally prefer the control a manual tranny gives as opposed the slushbox it comes with, and would one day like to make the switch, that is, if it isn't like trying to perform a brain transplant. Has anyone done this manual transmission swap mod, and if so, how did it go and how did you determine the parts you needed? Is there a lot of fabrication in the process, or are some F250/350 parts useable? I suppose there might be some computer issues with sensors and such not sending signals to the computer, is there a way around it? Anyone that can post some helpful tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
subscribed. i want to put a zf6 in my KR

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump:
Anyone?

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Buddy has it done in his 7.3 ex new tranny hump that was custom built a set of tunes some slight wiring for the trans and of course the clutch pedal which the hole is already in the firewall for it

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if you could cut out the tranny tunnel on a F series and weld it in the the Ex? Is there much difference in the body of a 7.3 and a 6.0 Ex? Do you know where he started his research on doing it? Any special parts or adapter plates needed? Any info you have would be appreciated. I'm still in the research stage of this upgrade, it'll probably be a while till I do it, but its good to get started learning.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Hey had a brake so he bent up his own tunnel it's fairly square but with carpet on it looks near stalk but im not sure on the difference between a 6.0 and 7.3 firewall tunnel and all the little stuff but is doable

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can find out if the tunnel of a SD250/350 is basically the same as the Ex, I might hit a boneyard to find one and see if I can talk them into a little surgery on it before it hits the crusher. I still need the pedals and such, but as it seems that I am striking out into uncharted territory, I'll probably be doing a lot of this by trial and error. It will be interesting though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts