Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was throwing around the idea of putting HID's in my truck. Wanted to use the factory lights (painted them). Is that possible? And if so who would be best to order them from?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
HIDs are a waste of money in my opinion. I'm taking mine out. I've consistently had issues with my passenger's side not firing. I've replaced the ballast, bulb, and have even added a capacitor. It's hit or miss whether it will ignite or not. It isn't weather dependent either. Seems to happen more often in the winter/colder months than in the summer but it still happens when it's warm out. I'm going to get a set of Piaa halogens. They're not an exact match to a white HID but are pretty close.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I had HID'S on my old dodge and never really had a problem with them, that is why i thought of maybe putting them in this truck. Just wasnt sure if they would fit in the stock headlights are not.

Still undecided if i want to for sure or not just an idea i was throwing around.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
All the Info is in the link in my sig :thumb:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha thanks man, didnt know you had a link. Had seen you were retro fitting some projectors but didnt know you had a link to these. I appreciate it.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Sure thing man. Holler at me if you got any questions

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I love my HID's. I have had other aftermarket halogen bulbs, and they arent even in the same zone. The HID's are the better option. I to have had an issue here and there with one not firing on the very very rare occasion. But all I do is turn the lights off and on once and it will light. It is worth it for the added light output. I have the DDM tuning 35w 5k HID's in my headlights and fogs. I got the HID's with the highbeams, but to date, I have only used them 1 time. My next set I will just get lows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks. Did you just mount them in your stock housings? And then mount the ballast and everything?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yes I put them in my Stock housings. and used two sided tape and mounted the ballasts to the support. On my fogs I mounted the ballasts directly to my bumper since there is alot more flat surfaces.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright that seems more of the route I'd want to go. That's what I did on my other truck and they worked fine. The 5k a more of the white color correct?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
5k is pretty close to natural pure white. If you go 6k or higher they start getting blue in a hurry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright gonna check out ddm today. Is that the best place to order from? Don't want to order some of the cheap kind I've seen around but I have heard good things about ddm

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
DDM or Retro solutions HID's seem to be the two everyone chooses.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
I'll never go back to normal headlights. I even hate e fact my wife's rav 4 doesn't have them. Although her headlights are actually really good. HIDs are a must IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
For those of you with the headlight firing issue, try adding an inline fuse. Fixed my issue.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
5k is more of a florescent color, 4300k is what all the current car manufacturers put in their cars..I'd seriously look into a retro fit though, as HID lighting systems were not intended to be put in a halogen reflector housing, they're designed to be put into a projector housing..anyways- have fun with what ever you do!

·
Registered
640 Posts
For those of you with the headlight firing issue, try adding an inline fuse. Fixed my issue.
I had issues as well with one not firing, then the other. Sometimes neither would. Pulled both grounds and re-did them. Bought two self-tapping stainless steel screws from hardware store. Sanded some paint off the corner of the frame above the headlight housings and drilled those suckers in. Tightened the hell out of them and covered them with flat back spray paint. NEVER had an issue since. :woot:

TRS (The Retrofit Source) has great customer service. :bump:

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
tony how is your retrofit going??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts