Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... So after test driving a couple I think I want one. :woot: I like the dodge but I like the ford more.

I just cant decide to get a 7.3 now or wait one year for a 6.0 ???

Here is the one that I test drove.

2000 FORD F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Long Bed

It has approximately 120 xxx miles on it if I did the math correctly. :confused:

I am going to test drive it once more look for some stuff that might be wrong with it. (Leaks, rust that sort of stuff) I ain't no diesel mechanic but when something isn't right it can be easy to spot (sometimes :icon_ford:).

My dad has worked on diesels before but they are in tractors not trucks. My friends dad works on fords all the time but I would have to ask the dealer to borrow it for the day or something cause the truck is 2 hours away.

Let me know what you think. Should I buy now or wait for a 6.0.
I realize that diesel prices are going up but so is gasoline. You get better mpg in a diesel than a gasser so I figure I am spending my money wisely by buying a ford diesel. Its too bad they don't sell a f150 diesel or I wouldn't post this useless thread. I don't have a larger trailer to pull stuff just a single axle 8x10 footer oh and maybe my dads 17.5 foot fiberglass boat if he lets me :rofl:

I would install gauges, 4 inch exhaust, "dp it", turbonetics turbo/ injectors, and other stuff to follow.

What do u think???
Opinions/ Suggestions/ Comments/ Things not related to my thread, anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Too much truck for what you need. Sounds like you might even be able to pull it off with a Ranger...

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
... So after test driving a couple I think I want one. :woot: I like the dodge but I like the ford more.

I just cant decide to get a 7.3 now or wait one year for a 6.0 ???

Here is the one that I test drove.

2000 FORD F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Long Bed

It has approximately 120 xxx miles on it if I did the math correctly. :confused:

I am going to test drive it once more look for some stuff that might be wrong with it. (Leaks, rust that sort of stuff) I ain't no diesel mechanic but when something isn't right it can be easy to spot (sometimes :icon_ford:).

My dad has worked on diesels before but they are in tractors not trucks. My friends dad works on fords all the time but I would have to ask the dealer to borrow it for the day or something cause the truck is 2 hours away.

Let me know what you think. Should I buy now or wait for a 6.0.
I realize that diesel prices are going up but so is gasoline. You get better mpg in a diesel than a gasser so I figure I am spending my money wisely by buying a ford diesel. Its too bad they don't sell a f150 diesel or I wouldn't post this useless thread. I don't have a larger trailer to pull stuff just a single axle 8x10 footer oh and maybe my dads 17.5 foot fiberglass boat if he lets me :rofl:

I would install gauges, 4 inch exhaust, "dp it", turbonetics turbo/ injectors, and other stuff to follow.

What do u think???
Opinions/ Suggestions/ Comments/ Things not related to my thread, anything.
Well sounds like your headed in the right direction, the 7.3 is a great reliable motor......but as far things to look out for I'm sure Scuffy, Dirk or Maintain will be around shortly to point some things out to you

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got him down to as low as 16500 plus lovely 13% tax and the value of my moms car around 4 000... :dunno:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Hey that ain't 16,500 + your moms car is it?? I hope I misread that! I hope you meant 12,500 + the car, right? If thats the case, thats not too bad then

·
Registered
203 Posts
You guys are all nuts. A ranger could pull a dinky 8x10 trailer and a 17ft boat and get significantly better gas mileage when he's not towing. A F-250 is total overkill for your needs.

A Supercab 4wd Ranger can tow ~5600lbs, which is far more than the loaded trailer or boat you're talking about, which you will probably tow infrequently. The Ranger will be easier to park on a day to day basis and won't have the huge diesel related expenses ($100 oil changes etc). Also it gets significantly better gas mileage (16city/23hwy or better), and then you have to consider the price difference between gas and diesel.

An important consideration at your age (seems like you're about 19) is insurance... start by getting quotes.

While PSDs are badass, don't let the cool factor make you end up with a hell of a lot more truck than you need that will cost a lot more than you can afford...

·
Registered
125 Posts
You guys are all nuts. A ranger could pull a dinky 8x10 trailer and a 17ft boat and get significantly better gas mileage when he's not towing. A F-250 is total overkill for your needs.

When did OVERKILL turn into a bad thing.:rod:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
7.3 would be the best one
There are plenty of happy 6.0L people out there.

Oh look, There's one right HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

But if it is going to take a year to get a 6.0L, And he could get a 7.3L today.

Get the 7.3L:thumb:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey that ain't 16,500 + your moms car is it?? I hope I misread that! I hope you meant 12,500 + the car, right? If thats the case, thats not too bad then
Its 12500 with the value of my moms car

i should have said 16500- 4000= 12500 :doh:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An important consideration at your age (seems like you're about 19) is insurance... start by getting quotes.
Obviously I have to call insurance... I need a job also... I am not rushing with buying it is all I am saying....

I would buy a vw diesel but its a car- it wont be able to tow our john deere or my dads boat.

My dad has his own truck- an 08 sequoia. I just want a psd for the sake of having a psd... not cause I need something smaller.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With all the hassles on a 6 lt, I waited till a low mile 2003 with a 7.3 came up. I bought one with around 85K miles on it, cost me 17K, then I added another 5K in goodies on it and in it.
Fixed the ABS, & Overdrive wiring

2003 F-350 supercrew long box 7.3 Lariat 4x4

Silverline 4" T304 turbo back exhaust
S&B intake
Bushwacker flares
Putco boss 4" tube full length running boards
Westin bull bumper
Super Chip programmer
Alpine stereo w dvd pop up
Aluminum headache rack

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if I ever decide to sell my truck, I know where to go
:dunno: its too much of a hassle to bring it over the border. ... ...

"Good things come to those who wait"
I was expecting someone to say this :hehe: :rofl: :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

A Supercab 4wd Ranger can tow ~5600lbs, which is far more than the loaded trailer or boat you're talking about, which you will probably tow infrequently. The Ranger will be easier to park on a day to day basis and won't have the huge diesel related expenses ($100 oil changes etc). Also it gets significantly better gas mileage (16city/23hwy or better), and then you have to consider the price difference between gas and diesel.

While PSDs are badass, don't let the cool factor make you end up with a hell of a lot more truck than you need that will cost a lot more than you can afford...
He didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether he should get a diesel instead of a a gas truck, i.e. a ranger, f150. etc. He asked whether we
thought we should get a 7.3l now, or wait a year till he can afford a 6.0.

I dont need a diesel.I hardly ever pull anything, and when i do, the heaviest thing i pull is a couple of 4 wheelers, or a car.

My truck is a huge overkill for what i need for the most part(on rare occasions i do actually need it),

Yet i'm selling by F250 PSD, to get a f350 DRW PSD. And i will continue to own a Diesel truck for the forseeable future.

Whats wrong exactly with owning something beyond what you need? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Obviously he knows what he can and cannot afford, so there for, i believe he knows whether he can afford a diesel or not.

And to the OP, I vote go for the 7.3l man:thumb: You can't beat 'um them, reliability wise, not to mention they are tough SOB's!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
:dunno: its too much of a hassle to bring it over the border. ... ...

"Good things come to those who wait"
I was expecting someone to say this :hehe: :rofl: :icon_ford:
As long as its on RIV.ca, it's easy bringing what ever you want across. It's when its not on the list that it can be a pain to register. For instance I bought and frieghted in a 2006 chromed out Ironhorse Texas Chopper. Well it wasn't on the list. Took 8 months to register the darn thing.

Dumb thing is that about an hour after I finally got it registered, somebody caught wind of it, and offered me 40 grand for it. SOLD.

Then I ordered in a Honda Rune out of Atlanta, cleared the border no problems.

In June I'm going down to Spokane to pick up a Seadoo speedster.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Obviously I have to call insurance... I need a job also... I am not rushing with buying it is all I am saying....

I would buy a vw diesel but its a car- it wont be able to tow our john deere or my dads boat.

My dad has his own truck- an 08 sequoia. I just want a psd for the sake of having a psd... not cause I need something smaller.
Suit yourself. Just don't complain about fuel prices :p

He didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether he should get a diesel instead of a a gas truck, i.e. a ranger, f150. etc. He asked whether we
thought we should get a 7.3l now, or wait a year till he can afford a 6.0.

I dont need a diesel.I hardly ever pull anything, and when i do, the heaviest thing i pull is a couple of 4 wheelers, or a car.

My truck is a huge overkill for what i need for the most part(on rare occasions i do actually need it),

Yet i'm selling by F250 PSD, to get a f350 DRW PSD. And i will continue to own a Diesel truck for the forseeable future.

Whats wrong exactly with owning something beyond what you need? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Obviously he knows what he can and cannot afford, so there for, i believe he knows whether he can afford a diesel or not.

And to the OP, I vote go for the 7.3l man:thumb: You can't beat 'um them, reliability wise, not to mention they are tough SOB's!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Overkill is fun, if you can afford it. He's a 19 year old without a job though. I just figured I'd give you some advice about what I'd do in that situation. If having a PSD is a must, I'd probably go for a 7.3 since the earlier 6.0s had gremlins and you won't be able to afford a later one. That said, in today's market, you might be able to score a sweet deal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts