Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in my (overly) optimistic idea of doing all my welding with TIG, I bought a lovely Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC welder a year ago.

Then I had to move and stuff got in the way and blah blah, life. I haven't started any of my projects.

In all the TV watching I do, I see that a lot of the fab guys do most of their stuff with MIG and save the TIG for specialty stuff, exhaust, big stuff, Aluminum etc. etc.

But seeing as how I haven't welded since High School (1991) I am thinking instead of trying to learn how to TIG and build up my tool box, I should get a good medium duty MIG welder. So I can bash around and figure out this metal thing before going high and the right with TIG.

The goal: I have a 69 Type 3 VW that is starting to rust out in places. Its hard breaking. I also want to do some light fab on the F350 to put in "hidden" winch in the front bumper.

Im looking at these 2 welders but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Eastwood 175 - $519 and it comes with a free Aluminum Spool gun right now...CON: its 240V only. (which I have but limits the welders mobility)
Specs:
  • Welds mild and stainless steel, 24 gauge to 5/16"
  • Welds aluminum, 14 gauge to 1/4" with included FREE spool gun ($199.99 value!)
  • 30-175 amp welding range
  • Ships with regulator and hose for optimum MIG welding
  • Can also be used for Flux-Core welding
  • Powered by 220v current
  • ETL Approved
  • Backed by Eastwood's no-hassle return policy and 3-year warranty.

Harbor Freight MIG 170 - Also $519, no spool gun included but capable without adapter, and its 120/240V. Also very lightweight. Gets great reviews
Specs:
Basically the same but lighter and gets amazing reviews.

So to all those fabricators out there, what are your thoughts? Would you buy either of these? Is there something better in this price range?

Im looking at no more the $550 bucks otherwise I'd get the ESAB 215.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I have this one, like it pretty well -- the plastic wire feed fell apart after a couple of years and I made an upgrade(metal) one that works good
dunno if they addressed the plastic problem or not -- the welder works fine now tho
I added a 16 foot work cable and doubled the ground -- it is a good usable length now

Also using this one for TIG, stick and Plasma -- it will go 220 or 110 and is light enough to carry easily if needed

·
Administrator
29,325 Posts
if you are not intending to MIG weld AL I would skip the kits with the spool guns all together
it's not simple to go from mild steel to AL set up IMO and the liner should even be changed IIRC

I have a 120v Pro Mig from lincoln for 20 years and use the hell out of it I run the big spool flux core and it has done tons of welds

I do have wire and gas for stainless and I did make the mistake of trying it for AL as a pusher once and that was a fiasco

my next purchase is a proweld plasma

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
The spool gun uses it's own lead, so no need to do anything with the regular setup, just unplug and swap out

I have used a little flux core, but prefer solid wire and gas -- the weld area is much cleaner

For rough metal, the plasma cutter/tig will double as a stick welder -- the high frequency weld makes burning those difficult rods(7018) a breeze

There are a lot of options out there for good welders in the sub $1k range

·
Administrator
29,325 Posts
Right thanks I was thinking the setup I had as a pusher needs the liner swap
spool gun skips that bs and bird nesting thats not the rig I want for AL anyway

the flux core is a little spattery but it cleans off pretty quick with a flapper wheel or blade
and the plus is portability and less consumables

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips gents. I think I’m angling for the Harbor Freight one for,the sheer lightweight and versatility.
I won’t really ever do aluminum with the MIG. I’ll use my TIG for that.
I’ll probably pick up a new bottle of 75/25 to run with it... then just practice, practice, practice.....

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
We have Millers at work, pretty sweet machines
the one I like best has the auto feed

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I think it is a 212,210 but would have to look to verify

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hydro, thanks for the detail about the Millers. Unfortunately, they are out of my price point.
Im looking into the $500 to $750 range max... but you can't go wrong with Miller's I hear. Good stuff.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Have heard pretty good things about the hf Vulcan machines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts