Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

thinking i need a new turbo

Tags
ford 6.0
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  stroker91 
#1 ·
lately i've noticed that it take a long time to spool and build boost, if i hold the pedal to the floor, it will rev to about 2200 rpm and take a bout five seconds to start building boost, then will build about 29, usually doesn't go above 24. cruising down the road, at about 55-60 i would normally have about 10 pounds now has nothing, and has about an 800 egt, no load. everyone i've talked to said the turbo is shot, but wanted more input into it, before i order a turbo.

#2 ·
could be sticking veins or bad unison ring. there is a way to test the movement with a magnet. if its bad, you may wanna look into a powermax turbo because u have arps.

#3 ·
i was thinking the same thing about the powermax. and ive been reading that an edge insight should read the movement of the veins but mine dont show that pid at all.

#4 ·
Take your turbo out and clean it. Sounds like your VGT veins are stuck open. Just do a search on "turbo cleaning" on here. Also when you have it out make sure that you can push the plunger on the end of the VGT solenoid. It should move back and firth easily and smoothly with your finger. If you can't move it or if it is not smooth replace the VGT solenoid. It should cost about $30 to clean it, a lot better than $2k for a new one.

#5 ·
#9 ·
It will be in the same spot. It is a sensor sitting on top of a stainless steel tube about as big around as a brake line (ok, a little bigger than that, but you get the idea). Shoving the tiewire down in the tube will clear a clog, if there is one. Just poke it down in there and wiggle it all around. Easy beans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.