Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have most of my performance parts done, now i need to start caring about my drivetrain :woot: I've seen many different types from top notch looking ladder bars to scrap metal poles found out back. I was wondering where on the frame should i make a mount? Also on the axel, I don't really want to weld it, so I'm going to bolt it, anybody have any good ideas? Pictures are MORE than welcome. THanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
In because i have a couple ideas floating around that i have been thinking about for when i build mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I just thought of this as i logged out, I work and live out on a farm in the Sandhills, the roots and trails can be very wild at times. Do I have to worry about the suspension flex while i have my traction bars?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Are you planning on keeping the stock leaf springs? I'm just curious about the desire for traction bars with leafs unless you're going to be doing the kind of activities that would generate generous amounts of axle hop. Not judging, just inquiring.

What I would do it look at some of the name brand kits out there along with their installation instructions and get an idea of where on the frame to place your mount. i really think if you're going to mount them to the axle, if you want to get your money's worth, the axle brackets need to be welded. That's the best solution for that, hands down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, stock leaf springs. I do alot of pulling of equipment and haybales ect. Around the farm, i just thought it'd be better for my truck to have traction bars

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
ultimately it's up to you but unless you're losing traction regularly with your current setup, you wouldn't need them. If you're going to do them though, I would highly suggest welding them to the axle. I had a bolt on 4-link on a half ton and it would slip regularly and they were torqued ridiculously. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Try pirate 4x4 for Ideas, back in my rockcrawling days we would make a single shackled ladderbar to control hop and still flex, if you run stacks you could put it where the muffler was.

·
Registered
845 Posts
couple of basics......the frame mount should be dictated, by the angle of the bar.....you want them as close to parallel with the drive shaft.

also for the frame side, make a shackle style mount that will allow for elongation of the bar when suspension flexes.....

check out Glacier Diesel for ideas. nice pieces

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I know you said that you will bolt the traction bars to the frame which is a good idea. Welding to the frame can cause it to crack right at the weld. If for any reason you do have to weld to the frame try and weld laterally along the frame.

I do like the glacier diesel traction bar design, it looks like it allows the axel to travel up and down without binding. They hand pretty low though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I made my own bars before this summer the length of about my drivesahft. Both ends are fixed, one being welded to my frame with brackets I made and the other being welded to the bottom of my axle also with brackets that I made. When I first installed the bars I adjusted them accordingly and set 1300lbs of milk replacer in the bed and then most of the weight of the skidloader lifting the front wheels off the ground. The bars never bound and the suspension flexed as it should. I've been to the track several times this summer and pulled sled twice without issue and they've worked great. My wheel hop is gone, and i can actually pin the truck from a roll now. I only have one close up picture (attached). Search some cummins and duramax forums as thats where I got most of my ideas. Theres nothing wrong with homemade bars, theres countless guys around here that build and run there own on there pulling trucks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I made my own bars before this summer the length of about my drivesahft. Both ends are fixed, one being welded to my frame with brackets I made and the other being welded to the bottom of my axle also with brackets that I made. When I first installed the bars I adjusted them accordingly and set 1300lbs of milk replacer in the bed and then most of the weight of the skidloader lifting the front wheels off the ground. The bars never bound and the suspension flexed as it should. I've been to the track several times this summer and pulled sled twice without issue and they've worked great. My wheel hop is gone, and i can actually pin the truck from a roll now. I only have one close up picture (attached). Search some cummins and duramax forums as thats where I got most of my ideas. Theres nothing wrong with homemade bars, theres countless guys around here that build and run there own on there pulling trucks.
I haven't heard of this before, why do you tighten the traction bars so tight? Wouldn't it pull your axel forward when your truck sits level?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
No he didn't tighten them that tight he was saying that he put the load in the bed to make sure that they didn't bind and stop the trucks suspension from working properly.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
No he didn't tighten them that tight he was saying that he put the load in the bed to make sure that they didn't bind and stop the trucks suspension from working properly.
Gotcha, mis read that post. :doh:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gotcha, mis read that post. :doh:[/QUOTE

Yah I just set the weight in the bed to see what the suspension would do after installing and tensioning them. I have the bars tension set so that there snug when the trucks parked on a flat surface. I attached one link I used below off of a cummins forum. My bars are basically identical to these minus he's got some hacky sack mounts.

DIY Traction Bars - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses guys! Im writing up a plan as we speak.. when i bolt them to the axel, what should i torque it down to so i dont hurt my axel?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is my custom setup..

Attachments

·
Administrator
30,490 Posts
I find my jamb nuts on the Heims loose often due to articulation of the axle

I almost wonder if just leaving them loose would be better since with My setup they could never back out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts