Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be required to put a newer model turbo on my truck? I am kind of sick of the whistle. Its cool, but irritating after a while.

What performance difference would I get if any (good or bad) swapping to a later model stock turbo?

Thanks!

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,211 Posts
Mmm, I have an 07 with pedestal sitting in my basement with about 25-30,000 miles on it.:rolleyes: Whats your mileage and condition?:D

As for performance, I know I gained boost (about 4lbs) going to an 03, and they also flow more air at the higher RPMs. So yes, you would be losing a little bit.:nod:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol 130k miles, good condition so far as I know, still can make at least 36 lbs of boost.

i'm ok with the heat and I might miss the sound, but damned if it isnt really irritating right now. maybe putting the cat back on would help some, but I dont think so

·
Registered
259 Posts
i put my cat on whenever i go on a long trip...it does quiet it down quite a bit...

if you do go back, you should just need the turbo and pedestal..i bet you could find someone who would trade straight across and get them to do the work too...

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,211 Posts
I would try the cat first. Its surprising how much the tame things down.:thumb: That way if you ever want it back, just pop the cat off.:nod:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or I could ditch AND put the cat on and it'll be a quieter truck :)

i'll try the cat this weekend....see what happens. I need a quiet ride. I hate that I get in my brothers truck and like the silence.

·
lifetime member
1,640 Posts
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have people trying to buy mine from me . i WOULD NOT SWAP! however it is your truck, but i like the turbo that is on mine.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I'm looking for an 03 setup so let me know if you are going to take it off. I have an 05. Maybe we could work out a trade of some sort.

·
International Threat
13,085 Posts
The cat and a couple of flow through mufflers would really tame it down.

Add some dynamat to the floor and doors and you'll hardly hear it!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ready to sell that turbo yet?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did some sound insulation stuff, maybe a better muffler would be good too. Hmm. The one I have now well, you can see straight though it, so not much use in the way of killing sound.

Hopefully this weekend I'll play with it some and quiet her down, if not....I have some considering to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
how long have you had the exhaust for. when i first got my exh i thought the whistle was the greatest sound in the world, but did get tired of it shortly after. now, i'm cool with it. i'm used to it and dont really pay much atteintion to it

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its been.....5-6 months. I dont notice it too much really, but at the same time, dont need to hear it.

Only thing is cool is cruising down the hwy in OD and hearing the whistle when you get on it just a little. Around town, the screech is just too much for as often as I drive the truck.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Still interested in this if you decide to swap it out. Either purchase or swap my 05 54K mile turbo. If you decide to change turbo's shoot me a PM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.