Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running the Looney tune w/stock head bolts and gaskets that were just replaced about 18k miles ago (it was not my truck at the time or it would have gotten ARPs installed!). My truck is lifted a little w/ 35" tires and I only get about 12.5 mpg driving around town now. I guess my quesiton is with the Looney tune and an FICM tune should I expect more mpgs in addition to more power? I have an EGR delete kit I need to install as well--will that help with fuel mileage too?

Now, what FICM tunes does everyone reccomend or like? I tow a 9k pound JD tractor on occasion but not often (I dont tow this heavy w/the Looney tune).

Thanks for the responses guys.
--Chris

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Atlas 40 from PHP is doing me just fine. Might get a FICM tuner to play with the other settings.

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
I would suggest the FICM tuner also so you can change it when needed
or if you don't like it you can sell it

I don't think the EGR delete will net any MPG.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
If you are still on stock bolts, I don't recommend running anything hotter than the Atlas40. However, as a word of caution, I would run a mild or economy file instead (around 25RWHP). PHP and IDP are offering tuners right now, or you can send it out.

As far as it matching well with your current files, the lower HP FICM tunes are providing smoother powerbands than the hotter files. I would stud the truck, even a one-for-one job, before pushing electronic power much further.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I tow 5k with looney tune and atlas40 .... Just watch egts and boost. I get about 16 around town unloaded and 20 ish on hwy depending on speed. Atlas 80 is a whole nother animal.. Throttle is extremely responsive egts are up boost is down. No numbers mpg wise as I can't keep my foot out of it LOL I have the pho ficm tuner it's nice!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do any of you guys that bought a BPD FICM upgrade still have your original FICM that you would like to sell me?
--Chris

·
Jersey Strokers Director
939 Posts
I've been running the Looney tune for around 2 1/2- 3 yrs as a DD. I just did the remote PHP FICM tune and put the Atlas 40 on a few wks ago. Not studded. It drives very nice, does seem like there's a little more power on the low end from a stand still. I'm prob up around 15-16 mpg avg now, from 13-14. I haven't towed yet. We have a 31 ft camper we use a handful of times a yr. Hopefully we'll be going somewhere shortly and I can keep you posted.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Do any of you guys that bought a BPD FICM upgrade still have your original FICM that you would like to sell me?
--Chris
Unless you were a BPD Beta tester, you won't have a full FICM to sell.

The BPD upgrade is only sold as the power board and heat sink. You retain the factory lower haft and logic circuits. Its a great cost effective method on the part of BPD, and if you've already tuned your FICM, then add the BPD upgrade you retain that tuning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Yeah, I really didn't think that one through did I colo_dually?!?! I knew the BPD was just one half of the FICM too. I was asking because I was thinking about sending one that I bought from someone off to Ed at ficmrepair.com. I just decided earlier today to just order one through the core exchange program from Ed w/ a two year warranty. I was told by him that running a FICM at a hotter voltage other than 48v generates too much heat and can break down the circuitry even faster than normal. I am not knocking you guys that do run the 53v and 58v, I just tend to think that the guy that is inside the FICM all day every day might know what he is talking about.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
From what I've been reading, I'm inclined to say the high voltage FICMs were a band-aid solution to tuning the unit itself. The only unit I think can without a doubt handle the extra heat and voltage is the unit from BPD, because of the of its circuitry and the bigger heat sink that they make.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The bulletproof diesel version is much stronger and better built than anything else I've seen. Bullet proof diesel has also said they have yet to see one come back running 53 or 58 volts. They also said when I was on the phone that a single resistor was capable of putting out 58 V but that he would be too much after so long. This is just an insight as to how well-built this unit is. OEM could never put out 48 volts with one resistor down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts