Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at several excursions and am looking to spend less than $18K, but am wondering if I should go the 7.3 or 6.0 route. My towing is limited to a 16 foot boat, and I want the best diesel of the two as far as fuel economy is concerned. Also, reliability is very very high on the priority list. I know I've thrown alot out there, but I know someone will have the answer.......thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
where you located at?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
if you care more about reliability than power i'd go for a 7.3
both the 6.0 and 7.3 will tow a 16 ft boat no problem

·
Registered
781 Posts
I would say the 7.3L as you will have to do very little to make safe power. As for the 6.0 you will need head studs and egt delet, also maby an oil cooler delet. IMO

·
Registered
107 Posts
most nicer 7.3's can be had for $15-16k or less. earlier 6.0's saw most of the problems associated with that engine, so they seem to be hit or miss. later model 6.0's may be hard to find within your price range. with 6.0's you also start dealing with all the DPF bullish.
the 7.3 is referred to by most as one of the all time most reliable diesel engines ever put in a pickup, rivaled only by the cummins 12v.
you can see what i am driving!! i also can easily get upwards of 20mpg on the highway...

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Why does everyone think 7.3's have no power? A friend of mine and I dyno'd our trucks. My 7.3, his 6.0. I had 120 MORE ft lbs of torque, with only 10 more horsepower. The 7.3 runs way more torque than 6.0's. The 6.0 does have a sporty feel with that VGT turbo, but when it comes down to pullin a hill with a trailer on, I'd take my 7.3 any day. The 7.3 is awesome for towing.

And with 18k to spend, you'll find alot more, nice 7.3's than you will nice 6.0's. Also, the 7.3 has proven itself to be a far longer runnin motor than the 6.0, with less issues. If reliability is very very high on the priority list, then go with a 7.3. If you plan on modding it much, try to find a late 99 or a 00. You won't have to do anything to the bottom end unless you go for BIG power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
who claimed that the 7.3 has no power?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Why does everyone think 7.3's have no power? A friend of mine and I dyno'd our trucks. My 7.3, his 6.0. I had 120 MORE ft lbs of torque, with only 10 more horsepower. The 7.3 runs way more torque than 6.0's. The 6.0 does have a sporty feel with that VGT turbo, but when it comes down to pullin a hill with a trailer on, I'd take my 7.3 any day. The 7.3 is awesome for towing.

And with 18k to spend, you'll find alot more, nice 7.3's than you will nice 6.0's. Also, the 7.3 has proven itself to be a far longer runnin motor than the 6.0, with less issues. If reliability is very very high on the priority list, then go with a 7.3. If you plan on modding it much, try to find a late 99 or a 00. You won't have to do anything to the bottom end unless you go for BIG power.
I didnt say the 7.3 has no power I just think the 6.0 is faster in stock form than a stock 7.3 and the 6.0 can make more power easier than a 7.3
I still prefer the 7.3, thats why I drive one every day:icon_ford:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I didnt say the 7.3 has no power I just think the 6.0 is faster in stock form than a stock 7.3 and the 6.0 can make more power easier than a 7.3
I still prefer the 7.3, thats why I drive one every day:icon_ford:
still dont see where you said that, but im over it. :dunno:
i agree with you. 6.0 seems to be quicker due to quicker spool up with the VGT, the the 7,3 has the bollocks! :woot:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts