Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 f350 6.4 I thought I had bad starter and it was not engaging but after replacing it I am still left with the same issues. my question is what is the easiest way to see if it is the flywheel. I have a feeling I will be dropping the starter again to see and am not looking forward to it:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
The starter runs? but does not engage the gears? -- or nothing happening?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Dunno if the 6.4 has a flywheel inspection cover or not - you could pull the starter off and use a screw driver to rotate the flywheel to see if it is loose or the gear is buggered up

Not engaging should make a bad grinding sound

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I am dreading pulling it off , but I am thinking it is my only option. it sounds like it is not engaging. when it was running I lost power and heard a grind and it was on a hook after that. truck has 157000 on it

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,379 Posts
Driver's side right behind the oil dipstick will be a rubber cover, take that off and use a mirror to look at the flywheel. Have someone turn the engine over by hand at one of the crank balancer bolts (18mm).

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,379 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
my new house will most defintly have a garage, had enough of working outside in montana
My son just put a 40x70 with water heat in the floor -- of course hay bales and a tarp works OK too, with the cardboard creeper -- livin high right there

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Dont forget the space heater with fire extinguisher strapped to your leg :look:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Said he put in a new flex plate and converter - surely would have checked the crank adapter?

I have had broken cranks sound like that, you can rock the flywheel back and forth a little to tell if there is "slack"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts