Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST BOUGHT A 2005 F-350 FX4 CREW CAB LONG BED WITH A 6" LIFT 35" TIRES AND A AFE COLD AIR INTAKE AND 78500 MILES. WHEN I WENT TO LOOK AT IT AT THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP IT WOULDN'T START AND SAID LOW FUEL. THE SALESMAN AND I GOT A CLEAN CAN AND WENT AND GOT 5 GALS OF DIESEL AND CAME BACK AND PUT IT IN. IT STARTED UP AND RAN RUFF FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES THEN SMOOTHED UP. SO WE DROVE OVER THE THE FUEL STATION AND FILLED IT UP WITH ALMOST 30 GALS OF DIESEL. I DROVE IT AND IT DROVE STRAIGHT AND TRUE AND SMOOTH. NO SIGN OF ANYTHING WRONG. I BOUGHT IT AND DROVE IT 2 DAYS AND PUT 200 MILES ON IT. I PARKED IT FOR ABOUT 5 HOURS AND WENT OUT TO START IT AND IT WOULDN'T START. I WORK AT A DIESEL SHOP AND 1 OF MY MECHANICS USED TO WORK FOR INTERNATIONAL AND KNEW ALOT ABOUT THE ENGINES. HE LOOKED AT IT, TOLD ME TO LET THE GLOW PLUGS GO THROUGH AND LISTEN TO THE FUEL PUMP. I DID AND THE FUEL MADE A GURRGLING SOUND. I CALLED NISSAN AND THEY CAME AND PICKED IT UP. THEY CALLED ME 2 HOURS LATER AND SAID THERE WAS GAS IN THE DIESEL AND BLAMED ME. I TOLD THEM THAT I HADN'T TOUCHED THE FUEL. THAT THEY WERE THE ONE'S THAT FUELED IT LAST. SO, NOW THEY ARE SAYING THEY NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP SO THE WARRENTY WILL PAY FOR IT. DOES THAT EVEN SOUND RIGHT? FORD WON'T WARRENTY THEIR DUMB MISTAKE WILL THEY? ALSO DO YOU THINK THAT IT MIGHT HAVE HURT THE INJECTORS OR THE ENGINE IN ANYWAY?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I would drop the tank, clean it out, change filters, put it back together. Fill up with diesel and drive the truck. Hook up a scan tool and check out the systems.

It is hard to say if the injectors are damaged or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im pretty sure a Ford warrenty doesn't cover dumbazz nissan salesmen!:doh: So its pretty much their (dealership you bought it from's problem) Nice truck though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How did it make it that far on gas?

·
4,488 Posts
With 10-15 gallons of fuel in the tank add one 11oz can of BG 244 (most all Ford dealers sell BG products), drive it about 20mi, then take it home and let it set over night. The next morning drive the rest of the fuel out of the tank, then after refueling change your fuel filters:thumb:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I just got over that same problem. I finally was able to drive all the fuel out of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
WELL, HERE IS AN UPDATE. THEY DID JUST WHAT YOU SAID BIGCOUNTRYSG. THEY DROPPED THE TANK, CHANGED THE FILTERS, FLUSHED THE SYSTEM AND THEN PUT GOOD CLEAN DIESEL IN IT AND IT STILL WOULDN'T START. NOW THEY SCAN IT AND COME UP WITH THE FICM. SO THEY ARE TOWING IT OVER TO THE FORD HOUSE SO IT WILL BE COVERED UNDER THE WARRENTY. I TOLD THEM TO CHECK THE BATTERIES AND THE ALTERNATOR (BECAUSE I HEAR THAT IS WHAT USUALLY MAKES THEM GO OUT) SO THAT THIS CRAP DON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO ASK THEM TO CHECK? IS THERE A GENERAL TEST THAT THEY CAN RUN TO CHECK THE INJECTORS AND EVERYTHING ELSE SO THAT IT WILL BE RELIABLE WHEN I GET IT BACK?

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
The FICM's are an electronic part and go out on their own; the alternator has nothing to do with it. Not sure where you heard that, but it's wrong. Good luck with your truck! :thumb:

PS. Please don't type in all caps. It's annoying as hell!

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the caps. My computer at work stays on caps because everything we do has to be in caps. I just got used to it. Anyway, I thought that the FICM was a module that converts 12v to 48v. That is why, if your alternator is going out or if a battery is going bad it over works it and it goes out. I heard that they are really sensitive like that. Is that not right?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Sorry for the caps. My computer at work stays on caps because everything we do has to be in caps. I just got used to it. Anyway, I thought that the FICM was a module that converts 12v to 48v. That is why, if your alternator is going out or if a battery is going bad it over works it and it goes out. I heard that they are really sensitive like that. Is that not right?
How are you going to go from 12v to 48v. The truck only has 2 batteries and operates on a 12v system. The two batteries are hooked up in series so it does not raise the voltage to 24v. The voltage stays at 12v.

Now if your batteries were hooked up parrell then it would be a 24v system like all the military trucks run.

FICM is Fuel Injector Control Module.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You didnt by any chance get that truck at the nissan place in midland They are crooked SOB''s

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
How are you going to go from 12v to 48v. The truck only has 2 batteries and operates on a 12v system. The two batteries are hooked up in series so it does not raise the voltage to 24v. The voltage stays at 12v.

Now if your batteries were hooked up parrell then it would be a 24v system like all the military trucks run.

The FICM does fire the injectors at 48V.........

·
Registered
258 Posts

The FICM does in fact provide an injector driver voltage of around 48 volts. I don't know what the exact circuit is but I would guess it uses a charge pump circuit of some sort. I don't have enough experience with the 6 Liter trucks to know if their sensitive to input voltage or not. I'd be a little surprised if they were since most DC-DC converters are relatively insensitive to that but I've been surprised before. The FICMs also have a computer in them so it's possible that circuitry entierly unrelated to the driver voltage is sensitive to supply voltage and commonly goes out when there are charging system issues.

Scuffy, have you seen a connection between charging system problems and FICM failures?

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
The FICM does in fact provide an injector driver voltage of around 48 volts. I don't know what the exact circuit is but I would guess it uses a charge pump circuit of some sort. I don't have enough experience with the 6 Liter trucks to know if their sensitive to input voltage or not. I'd be a little surprised if they were since most DC-DC converters are relatively insensitive to that but I've been surprised before. The FICMs also have a computer in them so it's possible that circuitry entierly unrelated to the driver voltage is sensitive to supply voltage and commonly goes out when there are charging system issues.

Scuffy, have you seen a connection between charging system problems and FICM failures?
not because of charging system issues no, when i see the most ficms drop, for one , ive seen the most drop after the inductive heat flash , and two, from heat of summer

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No not the Nissan in Midland, but it was the one in Odessa. Nice truck. I love it. Just wish I would have got to drive it more than 2 days before all of this. I am also glad that I am not a complete idiot about these things too or they would screw me, but these threads are a life saver when you need info fast.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When this happened, I had parked it after it running and idleing for about 3 hours. It was in the early morning 5am and about 60 degrees outside. When I went to start it at 10 am it was about 75. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Scuffy. That makes me feel better. I really don't think it had gas in it. I mean the tank is what 32 gallons and we put 30 gallons of diesel in it. I think that they were just trying to blame me so they wouldn't have to come up with anything out of their own pockets. The service manager said that I would have to pay for the filters and mechanic time. I told him the only thing I would be paying was for my lawyer to sue their ***. All of the sudden this FICM thing showed up? Funny how that worked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts