Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a code yesterday for thermostat and my coolant is kinda low to I went and bought the gold coolant and both thermostats question is where are they and how hard are they to change out ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
they are located right where the upper hose meets the front engine cover ,once the hose is out of the way, i use a long 1/4 inch drive and a 8 mm swivel to get access to the thermostat cover and get it off , a little fight but done several that way , there is a metal hour glass shaped cover over the housing thats comes out first , then the aluminum housing , swap thermostats and reinstall ,refill

·
Registered
79 Posts
With your EGR delete, it should be easy access. With all that stuff in the way, I tried for a long while and gave up....

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^ +1! EGR Delete should make it easy, I didn't bother on mine yet since its all in the way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise. It was simple and everything works good again.

·
Registered
517 Posts
How long did it take you? Damn I need to do my EGR delete ASAP.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took me like 45 min I wasn't in any hurry.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I loved having my hyperextended thermostat ;) when cruising down the highway in reduced power mode I got an average of 18mpg now with full power again I'm down to 14.

·
Registered
306 Posts
scuffy

both thermostats under the same cover ??

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes.... *finding pic*

·
Registered
517 Posts
I loved having my hyperextended thermostat ;) when cruising down the highway in reduced power mode I got an average of 18mpg now with full power again I'm down to 14.
Funny how that works hey?? My old Chev did the same thing, lost 2 coil packs and was getting record MPG!!! Fixed the issue, got full power back, back to horrible mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts