Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Strictly Diesel site this morning going through their 7.3L products and they sell a 180* thermostat. The selling feature was that it manages heat better.
Personally, I went with DieselSite's 203* thermostat since that is the recommended temp by International.

Has anyone run the 180*? If so, noticed any difference?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Rascal

·
Registered
250 Posts
Personally no. But I feel like the 203* thermostat is the way to go because the engine runs better at that temperature.
I guess if someone was pulling really heavy loads in hot weather up hill it may be benefit by getting the coolant cooler before putting hitting the next hill thus having more heat absorption ability.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
180 is the stock Tstat temp IIRC

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ken6881, i noticed your sig said you have a 5" turbo back exhaust. I read somewhere that a 5" downpipe will not fit. What did you have to do in order to get yours to fit?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine has a slightly smaller down pipe 4.5 i believe when I added that to my sig I had not looked that close to it and made the assumption because they looked the same size at a glance. . I will have to edit it. I bought the truck with the exhaust on it and i don't know what brand it is.

I am about to do bellowed up pipes and will get an accurate measurement then.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I swapped from the stock 190 something thermostat to the 203 a few years ago. The only difference I see is my fan coming on sooner which is a noticeable decrease in power. Next time I will either go back to stock or try the 180.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts