Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this forum, please bear with me.

I just purchased a used 97 F350 w/ 7.3l turbo diesel, and I want to install a pyrometer gauge on it. I have looked at few threads and web sites on thermocoupler installation, and most kits and photos show guys drilling into the pipe behind the turbo, threading it and then banding the coupler in steady. Well the pipe behind my turbo, I think is ref. as a down pipe, please correct me if I am wrong, looks different than what I've seen in most photos. It has a threaded o-let already, that I assume is for a thermocoupler. Is this an after market pipe? Does any one recommend a good threaded thermocoupler?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Your pics didn't work, but the best place is right at the downturn on the exhaust manifold drill and tap:thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
isent there a spot on the zost side of the turbo on the top of the exit port looks like a freeze plug? I know on mine there is

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
I'm new to this forum, please bear with me.

I just purchased a used 97 F350 w/ 7.3l turbo diesel, and I want to install a pyrometer gauge on it. I have looked at few threads and web sites on thermocoupler installation, and most kits and photos show guys drilling into the pipe behind the turbo, threading it and then banding the coupler in steady. Well the pipe behind my turbo, I think is ref. as a down pipe, please correct me if I am wrong, looks different than what I've seen in most photos. It has a threaded o-let already, that I assume is for a thermocoupler. Is this an after market pipe? Does any one recommend a good threaded thermocoupler?

most of the pics that you have looked at on here are probably aftermarket downpipes, yours being different from the pics you see makes me think yours is stock, aftermarket down pipes dont have a nasty flat spot in them. does yours? pictures of your down pipe would be nice to see so we can all confirm this.:thumb: nice looking truck by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here we go, It took me a few days to figure out why the images weren't posting.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
That port would work if the threads are correct, but it is far better to drill and tap one of the exhaust manifolds to see what the EGT is actually coming from the engine. My truck had the thermocouple post-turbo, and I have since moved it to a manifold. The turbo can actually "cool" the EGT by anywhere from 50-250F, depending on what you're doing, and the EBP valve also throws EGT temps out of whack when measuring post-turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts