Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people use public land for recreation on this site. And rightly so, since it is something we pay dearly for.
I found this on another site I frequent and thought it was worth passing on. One of the best videos I've seen on the subject stating some cold hard facts.

YouTube - Trails In Trouble

·
Shade tree mechanic
8,298 Posts
yeah. closing the trails just brings a tear to my eye. i love my toys, dirtbike,quad,snowmobile, and cant imagine what it would be like to not be able to load up and go riding. what is this world coming to?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Gosh I wonder if this is true for the trails in Michigan, because there are a TON.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The video made me laugh. Never in real life have I ever seen vehicles drive that SLOW. I am now very curious what the typical use is truthfully like ?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
They just closed ONE THOUSAND MILES of trails in the El Dorado National Forest here, where the world famous Rubicon Trail is. That trail is left open, but they closed 1,000 miles to motorized vehicles so "other" users aren't startled and bothered by the noise! WHAT THE F? These trails are MILES off road and no one in their right mind is going to walk or bike in that far!

Sierra Club strikes again.....:doh:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The video made me laugh. Never in real life have I ever seen vehicles drive that SLOW. I am now very curious what the typical use is truthfully like ?
I'm glad it's a big joke to you. In three sentences, you made it blatantly clear you have no knowledge of trail use. So, if you can't say something "constructive", please don't be "destructive".

I know a great deal about this subject and am very passionate about it. But for every person like me, there are hundreds more that "don't know, don't care". They are usually the ones that help to get our lands closed.

PS. Typical use depends on which type of vehicle you operate and the conditions. I go far slower than what was on the video when I'm in the Jeep on rocks and have the kids with me. When riding the Banshee on the beach it's WFO.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm glad it's a big joke to you. In three sentences, you made it blatantly clear you have no knowledge of trail use. So, if you can't say something "constructive", please don't be "destructive".

I know a great deal about this subject and am very passionate about it. But for every person like me, there are hundreds more that "don't know, don't care". They are usually the ones that help to get our lands closed.

PS. Typical use depends on which type of vehicle you operate and the conditions. I go far slower than what was on the video when I'm in the Jeep on rocks and have the kids with me. When riding the Banshee on the beach it's WFO.
:nod: I agree. And they aren't going to show a bunch of retards blastin through there because that's part of the argument of the other side, the noise and pollution. Which is a BIG part of why they quit making 2-strokes in '06.

I know in Michigan there are LOTS and lots of trails so even if they close half of them there will be plenty. And we have a great DNR that keep the yuppies in line, so it's not as big of a problem as in say California.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Ditto on what OUTCAST said :doh:

When you ride trail in the forests, etc, your NOT riding to tear up the countryside, rather to TAKE IN the countryside, and do as little damage, and leave as little footprint as possible with your machine. Your not out to "kamakazie" the land on your rig, rather your rig is just being used for transporting you into the wilderness, and through it. Being hunting, camping, or just a days outing. Would you like to go to a place that has a bunch of burnout marks and doughnuts torn into a nice grassy meadow? I wouldn't.

·
Conservative and Proud
14,493 Posts
I'll watch the video again at home where I have a sound card...:( Ps some of that looks like where I ride in Central Oregon.

If you guys want to get involved though. .... Americans For Responsible Recreational Access

They'll send notices directly to your email.:thumb::thumb::nod::nod:

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

You are wrong about my knowledge of trails and you are wrong to think that drama (theft of our lands?) is going to influence a whole lot of people to the cause.
Self regulation by groups is the ONLY thing that will reverse the trend.

That video is a BAD case of denial of what is happening to lands that belong to ALL of the people.
Look at what happens at mount everest...one of the most innaccessable "trails " on earth.
From wikopedia
By the end of the 2007 climbing season there had been 3,679 ascents to the summit by 2,436 individuals. There have been 210 deaths on the mountain, where conditions are so difficult that most corpses have been left where they fell; some are visible from standard climbing routes.[4]

Climbers range from experienced mountaineers to relative novices who count on their paid guides to get them to the top. This means climbers are a significant source of tourist revenue for Nepal, whose government also requires all prospective climbers to obtain an expensive permit, costing up to $25,000 (USD) per person.[5]

Exagerrated comparison...for sure, but the fact is,the cost to rescue one idiot
from the USA wilderness is astronomical .To rescue VICTIMS of an idiot is astronomical. Give an idiot a cheap motor vehicle and you have 1 -2 percent of the USERS driving up the costs for everyone . The result is user fees ,as seen in many state parks in the east coast.
How about a video showing the idiots and a plan to remove their access?
Maybe a scheme where victims are rescued and idiots are left behind for the wildlife to feast upon?
I would vote for that.
As a citizen, I wont be influenced by comical, unrealistic videos along with drama and suspense to "join the cause". If I can still walk it or hike it or even hunt on it...its not CLOSED.
(And I dont even need a freaking trail.)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow:yikes:

Self regulation by groups is the ONLY thing that will reverse the trend.
WTF?? :banghead:
Did you even watch the video? That's what it was about.

As a citizen, I wont be influenced by comical, unrealistic videos along with drama and suspense to "join the cause". If I can still walk it or hike it or even hunt on it...its not CLOSED
(And I dont even need a freaking trail.) .
Not sure where you're coming from. Are you for the closure of trails/lands?
Are you for some access or all? Do you care if it's closed for access or not?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
no one cares where i live everyone still rides half the cops around here dont care either they all think its stupid that they closed the trails just so a few people who ride horses can travel the trails

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's half the problem. It gives the green advocacy groups the ammo to fight with. When a proposed public input study is formally called on in an area, the tree huggers show up in full force pointing fingers at exactly that behavior. And you can't blame them. It's the same way with everything I guess. The few ruin it for the many. I believe the only way to have any public land use plan succeed is to educate the users in the correct ways to use the property, and by regulation to keep the abusers in check. I can remember the days of wreckless abandoned free for alls on the trails near my home. It was fun to blaze trails and use the topography for your obstacles. But that action has shown how ugly it can turn when too many do it. We lost our trails back in 98 with one stroke of the pen. And we aren't alone. Type in trail closures in Google and there are thousands of listings in every state. So if you don't think it will affect you, just wait a little while, it will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts