Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had some problems with my psd and i finally broke down and took my truck in for a compression test, due to the fact that i was blowing white smoke out my stacks, and burning oil. Well after it was all said and done, i have one cylinder at 190 psi, 3 cylinders around 280-300, and the rest just over 300. So basically my engine is shot. Does anyone have a complete 7.3l motor to sell? I cant afford the 8k to get mine rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
sorry to hear man. check out craigslist if you haven't already. usually find 2 or 3 down here around houston for around 2500 +/-

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it all depends on whether or not i need all the parts to build up a long block. If i find another one i might end up keeping it and building up for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well I have had some problems with my psd and i finally broke down and took my truck in for a compression test, due to the fact that i was blowing white smoke out my stacks, and burning oil. Well after it was all said and done, i have one cylinder at 190 psi, 3 cylinders around 280-300, and the rest just over 300. So basically my engine is shot. Does anyone have a complete 7.3l motor to sell? I cant afford the 8k to get mine rebuilt.
SOrry its not related, but how many miles do you have on your motor?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
does anyone have a complete motor? I am also interested in maybe upgrading. What do you have to sale?
I'm not for sure on this but give Truck Source diesel a call I know they have a few in the shop ..210-654-6767
Tell them I sent you

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had 112,000 miles on it. Thanks for the number i will definetly give them a call.
Thanks everyone for all your help.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Low Compression

You might try Powerstrokeshop.com, they have a complete bottom end kit for like 1500 bucks that will freshen up the bottom end. I doubt your heads are in that bad of shape with only 112,000 on it.

Just another idea for ya.:thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might try Powerstrokeshop.com, they have a complete bottom end kit for like 1500 bucks that will freshen up the bottom end. I doubt your heads are in that bad of shape with only 112,000 on it.

Just another idea for ya.:thumb:
thanks, i appreciate it

·
Registered
862 Posts
Contact David @ DI. I got my short block off him and I'm sure he can get ya a long block.

The $1500 setup from powerstrokeshop.com is a rebuild kit. You will need to have your block machined and the heads checked out. But still cheaper then a long block would be.

You are going to spend around 5k anyway you look at it. Unless you get a used motor out of another truck.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Sucks about the luck man. I hope you find one that you can afford!

·
Registered
270 Posts
did you squirt some oil in the cylinders and recheck the compression?... might just need heads or a valve job...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you squirt some oil in the cylinders and recheck the compression?... might just need heads or a valve job...
Well my mechanic said that he did a wet test on it and failed. so i asked him if it would just be the heads or cylinders he said at 190 psi on the one cylinder it doesnt matter because probably both are going out on it.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,057 Posts
Talk to your insurance agent. they can look up where the motor is the condition of the motor is in and price from salvage yards. I was surprised to see 3 engines within my area and 6 or 7 within 100 miles of me. I picked up a used engine from a early 2000 motor they said it had 110k miles i looked up the vin and it listed 113k miles. I paid 2200 for it cash after my core charge.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have found a complete long block and r&r for 5700 so i think i might end up going that route just so i have a warranty on the block and heads. the warranty is worth the extra money imo.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,057 Posts
My salvage yard engine has a warrenty for a year

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey i am new on here, but i see Shocker239 on this forum has an 2003 7.3 for sale for 4000 OBO...Lives in Naples, florida. 89,xxx on miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts