Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it happened. egg valve/ cooler failure, film failure and several shot injectors.

so since ill be ripping into it… here comes the question… head studs. i know it can be done cab on. but how much of a nightmare. and can the gaskets be done too?

FICM questions. i have an 07 f250. what exactly should i look for.

while I'm at it is it really that good of an idea to do oil cooler, hpop and other preventative work?

my first diesel. don't know where to start or to what extent i should get into..

·
Supporting Vendor
181 Posts
while I'm at it is it really that good of an idea to do oil cooler, hpop and other preventative work?
I would definitely do the oil cooler or even consider a BPD remote oil cooler. If you do not have the STC fitting on the pump, go ahead and upgrade that as well.

We have FICMs ready to ship that will come preprogrammed to your truck. Our modules come with a 5 year warranty. A lot of the members here like the PHP Atlas 40 or Economy tunes for the FICMs as well, and we can load those into the FICM for you before we ship it if you desire. Please find complete details along with a link to place an order at the following page:

Ford 6.0 Powerstroke FICM Repair Service | Circuit Board Medics

·
Registered
210 Posts
well, it happened. egg valve/ cooler failure, film failure and several shot injectors.

so since ill be ripping into it? here comes the question? head studs. i know it can be done cab on. but how much of a nightmare. and can the gaskets be done too?

my first diesel. don't know where to start or to what extent i should get into..
Delete the egr put a new oil cooler on, you can do headstuds one at a time but my advice is to do it cab off and you won't really have to worry about it again. Oh and use only OE gaskets as far as Ficm goes it depends on your purpose but I would go through ficmrepair.com and injectors would be a personal choice as well. While your at it make sure your batterys and alternator are charging correctly because ficm rarely die on their own. Oh and do the blue spring while your at it. Just my .02 cents.

·
Supporting Vendor
181 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Delete the egr put a new oil cooler on, you can do headstuds one at a time but my advice is to do it cab off and you won't really have to worry about it again. Oh and use only OE gaskets as far as Ficm goes it depends on your purpose but I would go through ficmrepair.com and injectors would be a personal choice as well. While your at it make sure your batterys and alternator are charging correctly because ficm rarely die on their own. Oh and do the blue spring while your at it. Just my .02 cents.
While you are correct about ensuring the charging system is in good order, the FICM's can and do fail without warning. The reason is because the componentry in the DC-to-DC power supply are inadequate for the heat and vibration. Add to that, inadequate charging from a weak charging system and you can virtually guarantee a failure.

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the starting input guys. unfortunately i don't have the capability of doing a cab off method. its going to have to be cab on. i just didn't know the extent of the work load that comes with it and what i should look for and what i should try to avoid. i have a budget to kind of stick too, but at the same time, if I'm doing the job I'm going to try to do as much as i can at once so I'm not doing a tear down again in 6 months for an oil cooler failure or HPOP issue. i mean i know things can and will fail unexpectedly but if i can try to affordably fix it in one shot thats my goal...

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
So you have a tight budget and have to do the work without the benefit of a lift. Do you have a time constraint as well or can you afford to have your truck sit for a bit while you work on it? If you have the option to wait, go ahead and tear into it now and buy things as you can afford them to make it bulletproof.

If you can't wait, just replace only the things you need to right now (due to your budget). Some things you might want to put off until you have more time or money to fix it up right.

Don't worry about the HPOP, IPR or ICP right now, unless they are confirmed junk. Those can be done with a little bit of effort after the fact. Focus on the standpipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, replacing the bad injectors, FICM(how did you confirm it's bad?) EGR cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets and studs. Save some of your money now because you don't know whether your heads are any good and that could be another $2k.

Also, did your oil cooler rupture causing contamination of the cooling or oil systems? If it contaminated the oil system, replace all the injectors.

Finally, you might consider an oil cooler relocation kit (like the VK kit from BPD) so you don't have to tear into the engine again for another clogged or failed oil cooler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have some time, but not ages. i would rather it not sit for 6 months. its my daily driver so I'm borrowing my parents second vehicle for the time. i work city ems, so i get 4 days off between my rotations. ill be able to get some work done every weekend off but i kind of want parts ready as i go. i know i can't have everything and stick to the tightest of budgets at the same time, thats why I'm trying to figure out what i should defiantly have on hand and what i should really get into or what to hold off on.

ford dealership told me i have a bad ficm, 4 bad injectors, EGR valve and cooler failure with a clogged intake. the aftermarket warranty denies any coverage (another story that I'm still fuming about) but i told ford they can take their 3200 in parts and 1800 in labor and shove it. for the same price i can put myself way ahead of the game…

i want to get as much done while its apart, but don't want to break the bank. at the same time i don't want to skip something and be pulling it apart in fall to replace something i should've done this time

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, what is the difference between ARP head studs? what is the CA625+ $1,300? will i need the ones running like $400-$500?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Just go with the ARP's that are about $400. Double check that the FICM voltage is dropping below 46V (either while running or while cranking) and that will confirm whether your FICM is "bad". BTW, your EGR valve doesn't usually go bad at the same time as your EGR cooler, so I'm thinking your EGR valve might be fine. Also, it's simple to replace (meaning you don't have to tear half the engine apart) if you determine later that it is bad. Oh and your HPOP is likely fine, since it's very rare that they fail on the 05-07 trucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome thanks for all the input guys. I already have my RCD egr delete so I'm just going to take that route. I bought the head studs, blue spring and BPD 58v ficm last night. Starting my work week so Monday Ill
Start the tear down. Thanks for the help up till now I'm sure I'll be posting again soon.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Please keep us posted and ask questions when you get stuck. We'll try to give you a hand in tackling this project. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts