Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I was driving home and I thought I had fighting squirls under my hood. Upon closer examination the sound seems to be coming from the pulley above the power steering pump. The pulley is connected to something that looks like a pump and has a big round disk attached to it.The sound is intermittent, but still worries me. Could it be a bearing going out that i can change? can someone tell me what it is? or am i completely wrong in my diagnosis? Please keep in mind this is a California truck.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
That is your brake vacuum pump. If it's bad your brake pedal will be hard to push. Or it could just be the pulley it's attached to.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
FIGHTING SQUIRRLS :rofl:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can actually see it moving side to side when it squeals. So there seems to be a bearing that is toast somewhere.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
yeah, your bearing sounds like it's going on on the vacuum pump. Mine did the same thing when it went out, except when I opened the hood the pulley flew past my head.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine just went out a couple weeks ago. Had to replace the whole vacuum pump. Cost me $461 at the dealer......

·
Registered
214 Posts
boy it the month of vac pump there easy to rebuilb if yaall want the cheep way out bearing service or just autozone 120 buck no core

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would have done it all myself but i was out of town and had no other choice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah well I pulled it out today and the front bearing had lost the seal on it. Not only that, but when i counted the bearings inside... there were only 4. glad I did it so soon and didn't put it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts