Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it is...............................

fuel pump went out. they .. i cant beleive they did this....... shot some starter fluid in it and it fired up and ran fine. turn it off and no fire up. so basically the fp isnt building enough pressure to start it.

and 580ish later it should be working.

should be done by fri.

oh and the turbo has to be removed to get to it :doh:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I heard you dont have to remove the turbo to get it out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
bockhold, which fuel pump are you referring to? The Huei pump in the motor valley I presume. The turbo does not have to be removed to do this job. (I just did it myself). I bought the pump for $180 and did the whole job, start to finish, including test drive in 4.5 hrs.

When I was looking around myself to possibly have this job done my a mechanic, my local Ford dealership was the cheapest. They wanted $850 for the pump, with a $150 core discount. Then labor etc. I wouldn't have been able to escape for probaby under $1300. Absurd. Different shops told me that the pump had to be timed to the motor (Bull&*#^), that you needed special tools to remove the hard lines from the back of the pump (Bull&*#^), and it went on from there.

All that's needed for this job, is a new or rebuilt pump (which is pretty much just a meetering pump), a 1 1/4" box end wrench, and a 3/8" drive socket set w/ extension. (you'd also probably want to replace the soft fuel lines, so 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line, and some good knee pads would make things great)

mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah, we did this on my dad's '97, it wasn't too bad. its a tight squeeze to get the wrench on that banjo bolt on the back of the pump, but it's doable.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yeah Iknow for sure that you do not have to remove the turbo.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yeah, I think the shops just push the turbo removal to glean more money out of people.

There definitely isn't any spare room around the Banjo bolt. But, once it was loose, it came off slick by hand. (fine thread pitch)

mike

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Removing the turbo is the "spec" way to do it. It can be done without removing it. The good thing about removing the turbo is that you'll get new O-rings.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, what I was told, was that on the 49 states model trucks, the turbo does not have to be removed, and on the California version, the turbo does have to be removed. So, the heck with that, I changed mine out without removing the turbo. (though I must say, it would be a lot easier to remove the Banjo bolt if the turbo pedistal wasn't there, but that's a small thing when saving yourself a bunch of extra time).

mike

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Well, what I was told, was that on the 49 states model trucks, the turbo does not have to be removed, and on the California version, the turbo does have to be removed. So, the heck with that, I changed mine out without removing the turbo. (though I must say, it would be a lot easier to remove the Banjo bolt if the turbo pedistal wasn't there, but that's a small thing when saving yourself a bunch of extra time).

mike
Mike how long did it take you to change it? I found a new pump for $100 if that will fix my problem.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, beginning to end, with test drive included, it took me 4.5 hours, which is the same amount that Ford, and all the other shops wanted to charge.

Have you done any crawling around in there before? Changed out the soft lines from the fuel filter bowl to the pump? If not, you might want to pick up some fuel line, and change those out while you're in there.

Do you have an 1 1/4" box end wrench? Cheapest one I could find was at Napa.

If you need, or would like a more detailed description, then just feel free to ask.

Oh, and where did you find your pump? $100 is a really good price. (the pump comes up on Napa's, Car Quest, and Auto Zone's websites, but they wouldn't sell it to me because I'm not a shop with a special account).

mike

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bockhold, which fuel pump are you referring to? The Huei pump in the motor valley I presume. The turbo does not have to be removed to do this job. (I just did it myself). I bought the pump for $180 and did the whole job, start to finish, including test drive in 4.5 hrs.

When I was looking around myself to possibly have this job done my a mechanic, my local Ford dealership was the cheapest. They wanted $850 for the pump, with a $150 core discount. Then labor etc. I wouldn't have been able to escape for probaby under $1300. Absurd. Different shops told me that the pump had to be timed to the motor (Bull&*#^), that you needed special tools to remove the hard lines from the back of the pump (Bull&*#^), and it went on from there.

All that's needed for this job, is a new or rebuilt pump (which is pretty much just a meetering pump), a 1 1/4" box end wrench, and a 3/8" drive socket set w/ extension. (you'd also probably want to replace the soft fuel lines, so 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line, and some good knee pads would make things great)

mike
yeah, its the main valley pump. i thought 580 was a bit steep for me at lease. i called them today and asked on the pump removal and was trying to see if he can just work around it. he didnt know and his other mech was working on it already. also i asked on the labor rate and he said 3.5hrs

Yeah, I think the shops just push the turbo removal to glean more money out of people.

There definitely isn't any spare room around the Banjo bolt. But, once it was loose, it came off slick by hand. (fine thread pitch)

mike
i dunno if hes replacing the whole tubing from the pump to the heads.

Removing the turbo is the "spec" way to do it. It can be done without removing it. The good thing about removing the turbo is that you'll get new O-rings.
well, theres already new rings on it when i finished assembling it in jan 09

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, $530 is a bit steep, but that's still less than 50% of what I was quoted for the same job. From what I've gathered, there are a couple different variations of the fuel metering pump in the engine valley. One, has a small head of approximately 3" (Huei pump). But I guess there's another one that has a head of approximately 5", and that pump is considerably more expensive.:dunno:

mike

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, $530 is a bit steep, but that's still less than 50% of what I was quoted for the same job. From what I've gathered, there are a couple different variations of the fuel metering pump in the engine valley. One, has a small head of approximately 3" (Huei pump). But I guess there's another one that has a head of approximately 5", and that pump is considerably more expensive.:dunno:

mike
i went to go pay for it today. man theres a difference betweent the two trucks..

anyway.

total price was 530ish and he said the turbo was leakin on the orings. so one side of me is glad and didnt have to mess with that turbo to fix it.

i need to bleed the air out of the fuel system. so ill drive it to school and work for a few days.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Glad to hear you're all fixed up. I wouldn't expect there to be too much air in the fuel system. I ended doing all the work twice (except for the pump). I wasn't sure where the fuel leak was from, so I changed out all the soft lines first, since they needed it anyways.

mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts