Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone.. Im short on money but i bought a light bar for a good deal.
i want to mount some offroad lights on it but i can afford the kc lights. i was going to opt for some pro comps but i dont dig there covers.Also i really wont ever use the lights.. just for show. the kc stone guards are my favorite. so i was going to be cheap and get the pro comps and put the kc light covers on. but the kc lights measure 8.25 and the pro comps are 8. i was wondering if anyone has this.. or knows anyone.. to see if the covers still fit or it they can be siliconed on or somthing..

thanks yall.

·
Banned
1,960 Posts
not sure if that works, but if you put them on you will eventually want to use them, I had 5.5" lights behind the grille on my 99 at first for looks, than I used them more than headlights...you'll want to use them, don't silicone them on. plus you'll regret having something that doesn't work...your truck is too nice to not do something the right way.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
dude that is lame lol!! That's like a guy gettin a Hemi and putting a Cummins emblem on it cause he couldn't afford the real engine lol.

I'm sorry. I don't got money either bro. Y'know honestly though the Hella lights are pretty good. You can get 'em at wally world. A buddy of mine had a couple of them on his truck, they would light the way quite well.

Or if you really wanna do what you said, you can probably get some kind of rubber strip like off a strap wrench, and glue that into the cover around the inner diameter around the edge.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Nothin wrong with not havin the best brotha. We all gotta start some where. If someone gives ya $hit for not havin the nicest stuff, put them on there back. Buy what you can afford and upgrade to what you really want when you can afford it. Keep an eye on craigslist, nice stuff pops up all the time for crazy cheap

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Nothin wrong with not havin the best brotha. We all gotta start some where. If someone gives ya $hit for not havin the nicest stuff, put them on there back. Buy what you can afford and upgrade to what you really want when you can afford it. Keep an eye on craigslist, nice stuff pops up all the time for crazy cheap
You are correct there is nothing wrong with not affording the best. You are absolutely correct. I personally think it's silly to get the slightly cheaper, and try to make it look like it's the expensive stuff. I just don't get it is all. :dunno: But as for making the covers work, I bet my idea would work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I WILL NEVER OFFROAD MY TRUCK I WILL NEVER EVEN USE MY LIGHTS ... ITS ALL FOR LOOKS.. I WANT THE KC STONE GUARD COVERS ON ANY LIGHT. WHY SPEND HUNDREDS TO HAVE THEM SIT THERE? WELL THEY LOOK GOOD THE KC. BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT BRIGHT WELL PREFORMING LIGHTS.
I FIGURED JUST SOME PRO COMP 50 DOLLARS 8 INCH LIGHTS. THAT LOOK GOOD.. BUT WITH THE 200 DOLLAR KC LIGHTS.. LIGHT COVERS..
I BELIEVE MY TRUCK LOOKS RATHER NICE. AND I JUST TO ADD SOME OFFROAD LOOK TO IT.. KINDA THE RICH OFFROAD LOOK THAT NEVER ACTUALLY SEES THE MUD.. ALSO SOLD MY STREET SCENE FLARES FOR SOME BUSHWACK POCKET FLAIRS TO ADD IN THE RICH OFFROAD LOOK..

HERE IS MY RIG. DONT DROOL TO MUCH..

THIS TO ME IS THE RICH OFFROAD LOOK THAT NEVER HITS THE TRAIL OR MUD PIT.. I LIKE IT.

·
Banned
1,960 Posts
if you're gonna go the cheap route, go to harbor frieght they have the kc style lights for like 14.99 a piece just like those pro comps if they're only for looks and that's what you really want to do I would do that for the cheap route...but that's just me...where did you find those 8" lights for 50 a set? I need to order 2 sets of them.....they are awesome driving lights.

·
Registered
131 Posts
sorry bro I dont understand the point of having a lifted truck with mud terrain tires on it if it never leaves the pavement.. dont get me wrong your truck is AWSOME, Im not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything like that, I just dont understand it. Whats the point?

·
Banned
1,960 Posts
Ill stick up for matty on this one, I dont ever take my truck off road either.....why take something that you spend thousands of dollars to upgrade just to take it offroad to make it filthy? that's ridiculous to me, I can't afford to break things, it's my toy and my anger issue removal project( I work on it when Im pissed off..) some people dont build their lifted trucks to make them filthy and beat on them, some people build them because it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ill stick up for matty on this one, I dont ever take my truck off road either.....why take something that you spend thousands of dollars to upgrade just to take it offroad to make it filthy? that's ridiculous to me, I can't afford to break things, it's my toy and my anger issue removal project( I work on it when Im pissed off..) some people dont build their lifted trucks to make them filthy and beat on them, some people build them because it's more comfortable.
that is true but you dont have to break things to take it offroad. I dont. You just have to take it slow, there's a difference from rallying a truck and taking it offroad. but I understand the whole thing about building up something to make it better for your likeing. I have a 68 GTO project car with a blowermotor on it. and the interior is all going to be memory foam pading under the apholstery. Im not trying to argue with anyone either, I have just never really understood it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's why Ford made this truck so tough! If your breaking things, your doin something wrong. I think that if it never hits dirt is should be built for speed and comfort on the road (my opinion). I don't think a lift and Mud terrain tires improve comfort for the road but more for reliability of not getting stuck in the mud. Just because you see a nice clean truck on the road doen't mean it never hits dirt......just a proud owner that takes care of it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THAT IS WHY YOU BUY A 500 DOLLAR BEATER TRUCK AND TAKE IT OFFROAD. I LOVE LIFTED TRUCKS SINCE I WAS A BABY SO I ALWAYS WANTED ONE. WHY WOULD I PUT 15 GRAND INTO A 20 THOUSAND DOLLAR TRUCK TO JUST GO AND BREAK IT.. I WENT AND PULLED THE TRUCK AT TRUCK NIGHT AT YANKEE LAKE.. LOL THAT IS THE ONLY RISKY THING I HAVE DONE. ITS HIT THE MUD 2 TIMES WHEN I HAD IT EARLY ON.. I THINK SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE TO MUCH MONEY IF YOUR OUT BEATING UP A 50,000 DOLLAR TRUCK AND NOT GIVING A DAMN.. KINDA REMIDNS ME OF THE KID WHO TOOK HIS DADS BRAND NEW 6.7 OUT TO YANKEE LAKE AND ROLLED IT DOWN THE HILL...

AND IM GOING TO BUILD THE TRANNY UP AND PUT CUMMINS IN IT.
ILL PROB PULL IT AT LOCAL PLACES JUST FOR ****S AND GIGGLES.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH AND DID I MENTION IM 20 YEARS OLD. IN COLLEGE WITHOUT A JOB.
I WORKED A YEAR OUT OF COLLEGE TO BUY THE TRUCK AND SAVED EVERY DIME FOR PARTS.. SO NOW IM LOW ON MONEY. I COULD WAIT A YEAR UTNIL I START WORK FOR THE EXPENSIVE USELESS LIGHTS BUT I DONT SEE THE POINT OF EVER BUYING THE EXPENSIVE ONES.. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I see what you're gettin at. The lights aren't going to be lights but rather an accessory. And I didn't realize they were the guards, I thought they were the actual covers. I could get some rubber pieces or them felt dash things and glue the guards on cheap lights.

Good lookin truck man. What are you going to college for?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mechanical engineering..

thanks bro. ya i just like the look of the stone guards.. and they count as covers so.. i think the plastic covers would take away from my truck.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If your 20 and in college without a job then I wouldn't even bother spending any money on it. I had a beater honda to drive... not a lifted expensive rig.. LOL

If you are going to get some lights, then get some hella 500's and be done with it. Who cares about the covers. I don't like the look of the lights with covers. Plus you will use them if you are out driving at night on a country road. Personally I think the offroad bars and lights clutter up the front end, it looks much cleaner with them behind the grille or flush mounted in a nice bumper. Plus they are easily stolen off light bars.

But anyways nothing wrong with building a truck and not offroad it. I sure wouldn't do this in my truck... LOL Heck the trails around my house are not even big enough to turn the rig around... I would have to back all the way out...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
mechanical engineering..

thanks bro. ya i just like the look of the stone guards.. and they count as covers so.. i think the plastic covers would take away from my truck.

An ME, just wait till your out of school then do whatever you want to the truck.. :rofl:

·
Registered
12 Posts
THAT IS WHY YOU BUY A 500 DOLLAR BEATER TRUCK AND TAKE IT OFFROAD. I LOVE LIFTED TRUCKS SINCE I WAS A BABY SO I ALWAYS WANTED ONE. WHY WOULD I PUT 15 GRAND INTO A 20 THOUSAND DOLLAR TRUCK TO JUST GO AND BREAK IT.. I WENT AND PULLED THE TRUCK AT TRUCK NIGHT AT YANKEE LAKE.. LOL THAT IS THE ONLY RISKY THING I HAVE DONE. ITS HIT THE MUD 2 TIMES WHEN I HAD IT EARLY ON.. I THINK SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE TO MUCH MONEY IF YOUR OUT BEATING UP A 50,000 DOLLAR TRUCK AND NOT GIVING A DAMN.. KINDA REMIDNS ME OF THE KID WHO TOOK HIS DADS BRAND NEW 6.7 OUT TO YANKEE LAKE AND ROLLED IT DOWN THE HILL...

AND IM GOING TO BUILD THE TRANNY UP AND PUT CUMMINS IN IT.
ILL PROB PULL IT AT LOCAL PLACES JUST FOR ****S AND GIGGLES.
Good deal at least you have used it a lil bit. It's a sweet setup that I would trade for anyday. I too have rolled my truck that was my only transportation out at Butcher Jones, Saguaro Lake AZ (it was a chevy though) and now baby my ride like an old grandpa......plus it climbs anything no problem. Pro Comp lights are not that bad.... Good luck!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You see if I had that red truck that you called a "rich" truck I would off road the living $hit outta it. My 02 is extremely nice and clean but I still know how to have fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts