Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to a TSB concerning the effects of biodiesel on fuel filters. I am just wondering if anyone has had problems with their filter falling apart due to the solvency characteristics of bio...

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/engineer/pdf/06-1.pdf

I am thinning WVO with 10% kerosene, 10% RUG and additives - have run about 105 gallons through my Excursion in the last 2 months with no probs. I have also caught wind of another TSB concerning biodiesel eating away the interior coating on rear 44-gal steel tanks, which plugs the fuel filter and can starve/burn up the HPOP. Any truth to these? Dan

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I can't say anything about the filters falling apart, but running WVO WILL clean out all of the sludge in your tank. I always keep an extra fuel filter in the truck, and have had to change it along side the road.

·
Registered
208 Posts
how can a plugged fuel filter starve the HPOP?

that part sounds like FUD to me, but I have heard that the steel tanks have a coating in them that bio can dissolve. like Gruss said, keep spare fuel filter and the wrench to change it on hand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One of the problems was very short fuel filter life. Further research revealed that the problems encountered were not due to the use of the biodiesel blend, but rather the use of biodiesel that did not meet the ASTM D 6751 specifications.
After reading the statement above in this report I stopped reading. Duhhhhhh! :hehe:

·
The Fat Mod
12,508 Posts
Ford does not recommend running anything higher than B5 in these trucks. Just FYI. They could void your warranty for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading the statement above in this report I stopped reading. Duhhhhhh! :hehe:
Please read the TSB further. You will find the last two paragraphs were my concern:

"Filter Compatibility

Most fuel filters currently used in petro-diesel applications are compatible with
bio-diesel blends up to B20. Check with your filter manufacturer for verification.

Using High Blends of Biodiesel
Filters that are used in special applications using high blends of biodiesel, those near B100 or unblended B100, should use solvent resistant sealing materials. Continued use of standard sealing materials commonly found on most popular fuel filters may result in deterioration or swelling of the material, which may cause leaks."

So if I'm running around a B90 or B100 in the summer, my fuel filter could fall apart on me if this is true. Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how can a plugged fuel filter starve the HPOP?

that part sounds like FUD to me, but I have heard that the steel tanks have a coating in them that bio can dissolve. like Gruss said, keep spare fuel filter and the wrench to change it on hand.
Thanks for the advice. I've been carrying a spare since I began. Haven't needed it yet. I did drain the filter housing on top of the engine, using the spiffy drain setup - got nothing but pure veggie blend after 100 miles on the stuff. No water, no scum, no sludge... :bump:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please read the TSB further. You will find the last two paragraphs were my concern:

Continued use of standard sealing materials commonly found on most popular fuel filters may result in deterioration or swelling of the material, which may cause leaks."
So if I'm running around a B90 or B100 in the summer, my fuel filter could fall apart on me if this is true. Dan
My take on that statement is that the seals will deteriorate not the filter.... which is a known issue for Bio users. If you are using high blends, or b100, buying Viton seals will solve that issue or changing your fuel filter often. I've personally never observed any issues with seal deterioration but I change my fuel filter as often as I change my oil..... every 3-5,000 miles. I prefer to replace a cheap $15 fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've personally never observed any issues with seal deterioration but I change my fuel filter as often as I change my oil..... every 3-5,000 miles. I prefer to replace a cheap $15 fuel filter.
that is probably what I will end up doing when I finally start making Bio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only two tanks of B100 through my '07 6 liter but I plan to change my fuel filter when I hit 10K. I have about 6700 on the odometer now, only about 700 miles of it with B80 to B100 blend. I ran my '97 7.3 for the full 15K using a bio blend on the fuel filter and when I went to change the filter, it came out in three pieces.
I bought a case of Motorcraft fuel filter kits on eBay so I plan to change filters every 5K and maybe extend it later if I don't run into any problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blended fuel, what is RUG

Hi, I have been using blended fuel in my Mercedes 300 SD 1980 engine and it loves it. Can you please tell me what "RUG" is. My Benz is quieter and smoother although the fuel mileage is less with the blended vegetable oil fuel. My Kubota engines are running good too. The only one I am having trouble with is the 6.9 in the 1985 dump truck. Any suggestions let me know. It is hard to start and won’t stay running when it sets overnight. Once you get her going she is fine after she warms up. This site is great.:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I have been using blended fuel in my Mercedes 300 SD 1980 engine and it loves it. Can you please tell me what "RUG" is. My Benz is quieter and smoother although the fuel mileage is less with the blended vegetable oil fuel. My Kubota engines are running good too. The only one I am having trouble with is the 6.9 in the 1985 dump truck. Any suggestions let me know. It is hard to start and won’t stay running when it sets overnight. Once you get her going she is fine after she warms up. This site is great.:
My guess would be that it has a hard time dealing with cooler fuel, since it's more viscous. You could try attaching a heating element of some sort either to the tank (of course realizing that the fuel is flammable and you don't want to overdo this...) or to the fuel lines right before they hit the injector pump. Lots of SVO use blocks that use coolant heat to preheat the fuel as it goes into the injectors (they start on #2 diesel and then switch to the VO once the engine warms up)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am thinning my WVO with kerosene and RUG (regular unleaded gas). My 2000 Excursion 7.3 loves it. My 1957 Massey Ferguson 35 loves it once it's going. I roll it down my driveway to start it. On petro diesel, it will catch in about 4 feet. On the WVO, it will turn over for about 20 feet before it catches. Maybe a sign the compression is not so good? But my Excursion starts just as easily on either.

·
Registered
67 Posts

"Filter Compatibility

Most fuel filters currently used in petro-diesel applications are compatible with
bio-diesel blends up to B20. Check with your filter manufacturer for verification.

Using High Blends of Biodiesel
Filters that are used in special applications using high blends of biodiesel, those near B100 or unblended B100, should use solvent resistant sealing materials. Continued use of standard sealing materials commonly found on most popular fuel filters may result in deterioration or swelling of the material, which may cause leaks."

I have been running B100 since early april. I am buying this from a local producer of bio. My truck is a 99.5 with 325k miles. I have a fass system on the truck that has been in place approx. 1 year. The fass fuel filter was a 2 mic filter up until the bio started being used. Once I began using B100 I went about 5 miles before I was roadside.A friend had a filter to fit the fass that was 10 mic, we put it on and I went on My way with no more problems.I changed to a wix 5 mic later with no problems. I keep the bio in a 1k skid tank with elec. pump. I installed a filter head on the pump and installed a 2 mic filter made by cem tec for bio.I started pumping and got in 9 gallons before the filter stopped flowing. Took out a 2nd 2 mic filter and installed,same results 9 gallons and flow stopped. It appears that this bio will not flow thru 2 mic filters--WHY??? This fuel performs very well in both of My trucks-2nd is a 96 f-250.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been running B100 since early april. I am buying this from a local producer of bio. My truck is a 99.5 with 325k miles. I have a fass system on the truck that has been in place approx. 1 year. The fass fuel filter was a 2 mic filter up until the bio started being used. Once I began using B100 I went about 5 miles before I was roadside.A friend had a filter to fit the fass that was 10 mic, we put it on and I went on My way with no more problems.I changed to a wix 5 mic later with no problems. I keep the bio in a 1k skid tank with elec. pump. I installed a filter head on the pump and installed a 2 mic filter made by cem tec for bio.I started pumping and got in 9 gallons before the filter stopped flowing. Took out a 2nd 2 mic filter and installed,same results 9 gallons and flow stopped. It appears that this bio will not flow thru 2 mic filters--WHY??? This fuel performs very well in both of My trucks-2nd is a 96 f-250.

dunno? bad batch of biodiesel?

I'd Cut open one of those filters and have a look at what is clogging it up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have cut open the filter that only had 9 gallons thru it, there was nothing to see. My thought is it is swelling the filter media. this bio is going thru a 5 mic filter just fine.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What kind of filter are you using that is clogging? what brand and part number? I just got a 2 micron wix filter to use on my bio if and when i ever finally get rolling on it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a Cim-tek #70232 hydroglass rated at 2 mic and 25 gpm. It reads-particulate & water detection pump filter for diesel & biodiesel up to B20. Call the company about B20 vs. B100 and they assured Me the filter was for B100, they just had not changed the wording on the filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far I have lost the seals on both fuel return lines after only a few months of running B100. They completely disintegrated. This is on a 1997-manufactured PSD.

How could I determine if my injector O-rings are in danger of failing, or if they've already disintegrated?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts