Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new account, first post. Truck in question is a 97 f250HD 7.3 auto.
I did lots of searching the past few days on multiple different forums but havent found the answer to my problems.

So, to start my truck will start up, but runs rough. Sounds like its running on one bank. (pass side) This all started a few days ago on my lunch break when i was headed to pick up my tuner and exhaust i ordered, figures. The truck started to require more and more throttle on the freeway to maintain speed, and then when i got to the shop it sounded how it does now, rough idle, shaking. Hasnt stalled on me yet, but seems to come close when i let off the throttle and it comes to an idle. Idles at 600+/- rpm. I have sense replaced the fuel filter to make sure it wasnt plugged, no change. My elm327 scanner with torque pro app isnt pulling codes. No abnormal dash lights. My tach has never worked. HPOP res is full. Unplugged driver side valve cover harness connectors one at a time, seems like it changes the noise ever so slightly. Unplugging one of the pass side connectors definitely changes the idle/engine noise. So its sounding like my issue lies on the driver bank. I had pulled the cover off that side, and none of the connectors or wires seems to be melted or bad. I ohmed the injectors from the outside UVCH for all 4 injectors, the front 2 are at 3.0ohm and rear 2 3.2 ohm, sounds good to me. At this point i am thinking its an idm issue. I have tried, while the truck is running, unplugging individually the icp, map and ebps, barely any change with any of those. (Ebps is new oem and i cleaned the tube)

Ive had the truck for about a week, hasnt had any issues (other than some weird shifting) until the other day when this happened. I can drive it, but it has 0 power, i have to floor it, wait about 7 seconds for some boost to be made and then it will actually start accelerating.

Again im thinking IDM, any input is appreciated as i dont want to buy one and be wrong.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Welcome! Just a comment on the scanner: I've never used TorquePro, but I do like Forscan (I use Forscan Lite on an iPhone) since it is specific for Fords. Make sure that the injector wires do not have any continuity with the glowplug wires. The solenoids seem to check out, but that just means they are not open-circuited. Yo might remove the IDM and check foe possible water intrusion into the unit by shaking it. Check the connector pins for any corrosion or bent pins. You can also try the tests in the attached. Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Checking ohms on the injectors from the IDM connector would test the whole harness -- may be worth your time
if testing the harness checks out, then the IDM is likely at fault

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Pretty sure the 7.3L is the only diesel motor that never has problems. Check the owner for issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts