Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
What's the best way to check oil pressure on the low-pressure side of the system? My thought is to remove the oil pressure sending unit and plumb a test gauge in that port to verify. Is that the best approach?

For the backstory, it's a 2004 F250 with 109,xxx miles, completely stock, that lost power and died pulling out of the driveway. It cranks, but won't start. No smoke of any kind or color. I did the bubble test on it - no bubbles.

My path so far:
  • Check for codes - No codes or check engine light
  • Check oil - Level is correct. Truck has always had Motorcraft filters and Rotella oil since I bought it in 2014.
  • Bubble test - no bubbles
My plan is to start following the flow of the oil:

• Verify the low-pressure supply/pressure
  • Use AutoEnginuity to get IPR Duty Cycle and ICP Data while cranking
  • Pull IPR and check screen for debris/general condition

If the IPR is good, then I believe my investigation moves under the valve covers.

Thanks,
TNF

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
The device you use to check for codes can be a false path. If you used AE, then fine.

You can do it that way. Be aware that it is a sensor port that likes to strip out easily. It's not a sensor I car to play with unless it's bad.

You can use the test fitting on the oil cooler cover; it's where I have mine. You can buy an aluminum oil filter cap with a 1/8" NPT fitting at the top where I've put a sensor, too.

Household hardware Camera accessory Automotive tire Auto part Gas
Motor vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start with verifying oil flow on the low pressure side. Pull your oil filter and use a long 3/8 extension to depress the drain back valve (the one that an installed filter pushes in) while cranking the engine. Cranking should be done using the starter wire that disconnects on the passenger side fender with no key in ignition. This makes it a one person job and ensures that you will not start. Within seconds you should see oil beginning to fill the filter bowl. If you're not seeing oil at the oil filter housing, check your low pressure oil pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts