Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Diesels will get better. No doubt. Heck the 2011 sounds pretty close assuming the motor holds up. My 2008 Shelby would destroy my old 1971 454 SS Chevelle. Easily. The problem is I was crazy enough to by a 2008 6.4. I'm Ford's beta tester so future generations of diesel owners will be happy. I want Ford to support me for that. Not dodge warranty claims for water in the fuel because they didn't engineer the water separator well enough to prevent water from getting to an engine that really does bad things when it gets some. The new injection system hates water a lot more than the old one did. Don't dump that oversight on me!

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,018 Posts
Adam, don't be stupid....you're not a fire fighter :hehe:
^^^funny :funny:

I have been to the dealership on two different occasions to check out the one they have here. I am tempted to drive it, but I really, really don't want to cause I may not leave the lot without it :doh: And I can't afford it :shrug:

I leave everytime the salesmen come out to talk to me, cause I can't stand talking to them. They are clueless :crazy: The one guy didn't know what a DPF was, and when I asked him about the urea he says "what's that?" with a confused look. I opened the fuel door to show him where you fill it as I was explaining to him what it was, and he looks at me and says "boy, I really should learn some more about these" :doh: :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It seriously makes you wonder who calculated that all that extra fuel burned was offset by the lower emissions. If our trucks could get 18 mpg without the crap and I average 11.8 mpg with it, I will burn 2,920 gallons more diesel in 100,000 miles. What about all the emissions and electricity to refine nearly 3000 gallons of diesel? I'm not sure they have this all right from an environmental standpoint. This crap may actually be messing stuff up worse?
I would really like to see emissions numbers taken during regen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^^funny :funny:

I leave everytime the salesmen come out to talk to me, cause I can't stand talking to them. They are clueless :crazy: The one guy didn't know what a DPF was, and when I asked him about the urea he says "what's that?" with a confused look. I opened the fuel door to show him where you fill it as I was explaining to him what it was, and he looks at me and says "boy, I really should learn some more about these" :doh: :doh:
Tell me about it. I lingered the other night driving through the local ford lot and the salesman told me how ford designed the cummins in the 80's and they still own 34% of cummins and a bunch of other crap that I don't remember. Bottom line, if I go back, he is going to be pissed when I buy from another salesman that actually knows something.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Guy I was sitting next to on the airplane last week is in a battle with Dodge over his new Cummings letting go while he was towing. He had a tuner on it and took it off before he had it towed in. He swears he set it back to original but Dodge knows the ECU and been changed for a while. He seemed to know what he was talking about. Stuff happens no matter what you buy. It does seem like the old 6.9 and 7.3's were a lot more hands off than the new ones. I saw some horribly abused 6.9's with 600,000 miles that would not die despite the whole truck falling apart. I don't believe that will be the case with any of the new stuff.
I think there are just extremes for any motor. I know of a guy from another site who runs tow trucks. He said he had a 7.3 IDI that started smoking white at 400K miles, which he condemed the motor as it was such high milage. Figured it would puke out in no time. Never did an oil change after that, only add oil when needed. It finally hydrolocked one morning because of a bad head gasket.....at 650K miles.

But then there are the motors that last 50K. Its just luck I guess.

·
Registered
74 Posts
These new diesels have a lot more against them. They run lots of boost, have very sensitive fuel systems, EGR systems, DPF's that create back pressure and hold heat in the turbos. The engines themselves are built better than ever. The 6.4 is robust as crap. The problem is all the other stuff going on in the equation that the 6.9 and 7.3 did not have to contend with. I would bet the 6.7's start acting up also. Ford no doubt figured stuff out on the 6.4 and made changes on the 6.7. But I'm not a fan of aluminum heads given what these new diesels face in lowering emissions. Time will tell and the jury is out on the 6.7. I hang out with a lot of the reno air racers. The unlimited guys push the boost to the max. As it goes up, engine life goes down. These diesels are pushing 1 hp per cubic inch stock. It's hard to make that engine last as long as the old 6.9's at around .5 hp per cubic inch. Plus we have added back pressure to them cleaning up the air. That's lots of stuff to figure out. It took gasoline engines 20+ years to hone the equation in. I don't think the 6.7 we be the solve all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ford has invested a lot in the 6.7 and will continue to develop it. Clearly, we are only seeing Generation 1. As I understand it, the motor needs to be re-certified for 2012 and we should expect to see improvements then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think Ford learned a lot of lessons from the 6.4. Expensive ones. Big enough lessons to break up a long term relationship with IH. Fingers pointing both ways. I've been there in business. Hope the 6.7 turns out good. Ford has had the best trucks for years. The mid 80's stuff was tuff as hell. I owned an 1984 F-250 with a 460 and a 4 speed. Sold it in 1993 with 290,000 miles to my friend. He still has it with over 500,000 miles on it. Heads have never been off. I loved that truck and it still looked new when I sold it.

436 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
i guess here is the best place to ask.... what exactly is trailer sway control suppose to do? i dont see it working very well... is it something ford claims to have as an option or is it foreal

436 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
It is suppose to use the trucks braking system to bring the trailer under control. It is equipped on the new trucks.
i dont follow how using brakes apllied to either side would make it any better... if you aplly to one side it would make the sway worse... (had one trailer brake lock up before) and just putting on the brakes... well even a dmax can do that lol im not trying to start anything i just want a better understanding

·
Registered
306 Posts
Understandable...I'm sure it's hard for dodge owners to understand technology that actually works :) just messin'

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or how about Harley Davidson's "If I have to explain it, you won't understand". That one has always cracked me up. Harley is saying you are stupid if you ask questions about their bikes. And I have owned 5 Harleys so I'm not putting them down.

·
Registered
599 Posts
i dont follow how using brakes apllied to either side would make it any better... if you aplly to one side it would make the sway worse... (had one trailer brake lock up before) and just putting on the brakes... well even a dmax can do that lol im not trying to start anything i just want a better understanding
its definatly not a flawless technology, especially since not all trailers have brakes. the idea is to put added resistance on the trailer so that it tracks better, once "under control" it will realease the break pressure. this will wont help overcome improper loading that causes inbalanced resistance on the trailer axles

or at least thats how the dealer explained it... but we all know how reliable they are with knowledge

436 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
its definatly not a flawless technology, especially since not all trailers have brakes. the idea is to put added resistance on the trailer so that it tracks better, once "under control" it will realease the break pressure. this will wont help overcome improper loading that causes inbalanced resistance on the trailer axles

or at least thats how the dealer explained it... but we all know how reliable they are with knowledge
thank you for a staight answer.. so its like an automatic manual push of the trailer brakes?

·
Registered
599 Posts
well, its a little more complicated than that... it also brakes the rear wheels on the truck individually to counterqact any wagging of the truck that might happen when the trailer is swaying out of control. thats also the part of the programming that is an attempt to be able to control trailers without brakes. but the real basic answer is that is used the truck and trailer brakes to add resistance that will counteract the swaying, in an attempt at minimizing or neutralizing it and allowing the driver to regain control

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm laughing at the original post of this thread. I know its a little old but remember him saying the same thing about test driving the 6.4 when it was new and poof the engine light comes on. Seems like he could at least come up with a new story. lol:)

61 - 78 of 78 Posts