Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok, I will try and provide some info about the CEL, this is just my experience and is not to be considered what the actual problem could have been, but when some of the 2011 superduties are being shipped the transport companies are damaging the DEF line. When the DEF line is damaged the CEL light could illuminate, that is what happened to my new 2011 F350, the transport company crimped the DEF line and broke the heater element and when the system checks the status of the heater it is throwing an error code to display the CEL. It has not caused a problem with performance and will not unless it gets cold enough to start freezing the DEF, which will not occur for several months. The dealer has already ordered a replacement DEF line.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
that's fine, I felt that I was trying to be civilized, I didn't lash out, unlike you my friend, with name calling. :dunno:

It doesn't have anything to do with your signature, but it may have a bit to do with your user name and posting style, its pretty abrasive typically and seems to ruffle feathers, just as it would If I went on a cummins forum with a "powerstroke firefighter" username and posted as you did/do. Gotta keep these things in mind.

And on a sidenote, if a forum and its member's keep you from buying a truck, you never really had any intentions of buying one, lets just be honest.
Adam, don't be stupid....you're not a fire fighter :hehe:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guy I was sitting next to on the airplane last week is in a battle with Dodge over his new Cummings letting go while he was towing. He had a tuner on it and took it off before he had it towed in. He swears he set it back to original but Dodge knows the ECU and been changed for a while. He seemed to know what he was talking about. Stuff happens no matter what you buy. It does seem like the old 6.9 and 7.3's were a lot more hands off than the new ones. I saw some horribly abused 6.9's with 600,000 miles that would not die despite the whole truck falling apart. I don't believe that will be the case with any of the new stuff.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep, I had the same thing as amsoil F250 had.

While my truck was being prepped for delivery it threw a CEL. It was after quitting time so they kept my new truck for the Techs to look at first thing next day. They found a line that had been crushed during tie-down for shipping. The code had something to do with the EGR system but I can't remember it now.

The line was easy to replace but they had to remove the bed for access. They said Ford told them this was not the first incident with crushed lines during transport and Ford was advicing the haulers to watch for this.

I'm gonna guess this is your problem too and wish you luck with your new rig. I know how disapointing it is to have to wait for a new truck to be fixed but mine has been golden since they fixed it and I'm very happy with it.

One more thing - the brakes will improve a lot during the first 200 miles. After you get 2000 miles on them they are terriffic!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
gotcha, I saw one at a fuel station and it was very quiet. I was just curious about the ride
Go drive one Mike You will be very impressed

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
I was really close to trading mine in on one last week

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I know, I paid 61k for my first house 20 years ago :doh:
I envy you! if i only paid $61k for my house it would be payed for already :(.
I have to agree that $60k+ is outrageous for a truck. These trucks are supposed to be work trucks designed to be driven by the American middle class who needs them. I don't know about you all but i cannot afford a $60k truck right now. And i highly doubt most of the middle class could either, especially in this economy.
I remember when a fully loaded F350 DRW was in the $30k range. And even at that time fuel was under $1/gallon. People's income's have not increased enough over the years to justify the increase in purchasing price as well as fuel and maintenance of these trucks. Not to mention, most people who buy a PSD are using it for what its designed for, towing... Hell, that's the reason i have one, and i don't even tow heavy. I just wanted some fuel savings as well as be able to pull whatever i want at whatever speed i want.
On a side note, i know i got side tracked... but i cant wait to hit up my local dealer and test drive one. I live real close to the truck plant where they're built and i see them around my neighborhood all the time. They're extremely quiet. I cant tell a difference between the gassers and the diesels, except for the tail pipe's and the 6.7 badges.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only paid $31,000 for my 2008 6.4 a year ago. It had been lemon lawed by Ford in Florida and they sold it to me in Huntington Beach California. It had around 10,000 miles. The dealer told me I better plan on keeping it though. Lemon law is on the title forever so resale value is crushed. It's been a good truck for 15,000 miles in the last year. I put the 100,000 mile Ford ESP bumper to bumper on it. I was surprised that Ford would sell it to me after lemon lawing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a paramedic and we have a 2008 or 2009 freightliner w/ a merceds benz motor and it has to regenerate every 3rd or 4th day usually! Granted, we use it for alot of city driving, it usuallies takes 15-20mins to regen. How long do these new trucks take?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh boy would I like to **** can the DPF. Problem is my 100,000 mile ESP warranty and the good old state of CA doing smog testing now on diesels. I'm toally convinced that everything involved with making a diesel run clean is bad for it. All that crap putting back pressure on the turbos and holding heat in the engine. Then dumping fuel in it on the exhaust stroke washing the oil down. I feel sorry for the 6.4. It would run forever without this crap going on. And how is the environment better when you are wasting all that fuel through dead strokes in the engine. Stupid!

·
Banned
211 Posts
Oh boy would I like to **** can the DPF. Problem is my 100,000 mile ESP warranty and the good old state of CA doing smog testing now on diesels. I'm toally convinced that everything involved with making a diesel run clean is bad for it. All that crap putting back pressure on the turbos and holding heat in the engine. Then dumping fuel in it on the exhaust stroke washing the oil down. I feel sorry for the 6.4. It would run forever without this crap going on. And how is the environment better when you are wasting all that fuel through dead strokes in the engine. Stupid!
I Hear you there. All the smog tests just makes it all worse. all the junk they put on the engine do it more harm than good. :crazy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It seriously makes you wonder who calculated that all that extra fuel burned was offset by the lower emissions. If our trucks could get 18 mpg without the crap and I average 11.8 mpg with it, I will burn 2,920 gallons more diesel in 100,000 miles. What about all the emissions and electricity to refine nearly 3000 gallons of diesel? I'm not sure they have this all right from an environmental standpoint. This crap may actually be messing stuff up worse?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It seriously makes you wonder who calculated that all that extra fuel burned was offset by the lower emissions. If our trucks could get 18 mpg without the crap and I average 11.8 mpg with it, I will burn 2,920 gallons more diesel in 100,000 miles. What about all the emissions and electricity to refine nearly 3000 gallons of diesel? I'm not sure they have this all right from an environmental standpoint. This crap may actually be messing stuff up worse?
Same argument in the early 70's. I get 20 mpg with my 69 Dodge 440 Polaris, and 11 mpg with the 72 smog choked 360... how is this better? Within 10-15 years, emissions had evolved, power was up, mileage was up... The present diesel situation will evolve more rapidly with more advanced technology.

Hindsight, having a 68 396 El Camino that could walk away from police cruisers who would not activate their lights until they got close...:punk:

That being said, from 2009, to 2011, the Powerstroke mileage/power is UP!!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts