Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys posting some temps think my oil cooler is pretty much screwed but want some quick opinions before i take the plunge

Ambient temp: 45deg f
ECT 184 // EOT 205 @ WOT
ECT 184 // EOT 201 65 mph cruising after WOT run

I know the ECT is a little low but that shouldn't affect the delta correct?

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
891 Posts
Put a new thermostat in an then see what it is its stuck open avoid aftermarket ones get a motocraft

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran about two more miles before getting off the highway

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dhanna does the low ECT because of the thermostat actually affect the delta? do you know why?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will to an extent. Mine runs around 184°-186° with an oil temp of 187°-191° pretty much all the time.
So from looking at those temps that you run I guess it is safe to say my oil cooler is definitely pretty much shot as well as a sticking t stat?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So from looking at those temps that you run I guess it is safe to say my oil cooler is definitely pretty much shot as well as a sticking t stat?
i'd try the t-stat first and go from there.. throwing parts at a 6.0L can get expensive.. if your going to replace the oil cooler i'd go with a bullet proof one just so you know your safe.. and what coolant are you running?

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
As of now, yeah, looking like a cooler but I've seen posts on here where a thermostat letting the coolant run at the right temp brings the delta closer together. Just never know, but the t-stat is easy enough to replace to check that out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'd try the t-stat first and go from there.. throwing parts at a 6.0L can get expensive.. if your going to replace the oil cooler i'd go with a bullet proof one just so you know your safe.. and what coolant are you running?
It is still gold (don't freak haha) truck only has 48,000 on it and still has a warranty (extended by my dealer through aftermarket) so I havent changed it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the good info dhanna really appreciate it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll do that, thanks again

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It is still gold (don't freak haha) truck only has 48,000 on it and still has a warranty (extended by my dealer through aftermarket) so I havent changed it
i'd still get that snot out of their if you can..and throw a coolant filter on her, just to be safe.. i anticipate seeing how all this unfolds

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'd still get that snot out of their if you can..and throw a coolant filter on her, just to be safe.. i anticipate seeing how all this unfolds
I have a coolant filter but haven't installed it yet (sinister). I have heard horror stories about warranties being voided (just because they can)

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
They cannot void your warranty for putting a coolant filter on your truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here it goes dhanna....

Tstat was definitely sticking, the truck warms up much quicker and stays about 4-5* warmer. But....

ECT 188* // EOT 207*
65 MPH
Ambient Temp = 60*

Held consistent for a 10 mile run

I am thinking that I should do a good flush and then do the oil cooler if it doesnt improve. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone else? what do you think?

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
Did you get a OEM t-stat? that is still a bit low. However, even if you were at 190-192, 190 would give you a 17 degree delta which is out of limits. I think I would change the oil cooler and make sure that you have a Ford tstat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts