Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I took my truck (05 F250) up to my hunting lease (150 mi trip)
about half way their I stopped at a gas station & I left my truck idling when I got back on the road I herd the clutch fan kick on (which I never hear this is the first) & I looked down at my gauges & the water temp gauge was almost pegged out in the red (Hot) but within a few seconds it cooled right back down again so I stopped and checked under the hood & everything looked good so I got back on the road & it did it 5 or 6 more times for the rest of the trip. When I got back home I drove around for a week and it only did it 1 time. So what I'm asking is does anyone have an idea what could cause this? Temp sensor ,fan clutch or the dreaded head gaskets and it does it with or without the A/C running. Also I've already done an EGR delete & new oil cooler 4-5 months ago Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I would think more a bad sensor or the fan clutch not responding properly.

·
Registered
792 Posts
SUBBED
JER-1
:icon_ford:
:thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Get an Edge Insight CS ASAP and check you EOT!! Also get the lastest flash that will monitor your Oil Cooler Efficiency.

The dash guage is an "idiot light" ... it has three readings: low, normal, and hot. It measures both the Coolant Temp & the Oil Temp and when it goes to hot then one or the other is "really" hot!

I had a new oil cooler installed and it clogged again in less than 2k miles ... my truck was reacting just as you describe. My Edge Insight showed ECT at 190, but the EOT was 240+!

'Twas another oil cooler for me ... w/ the system properly flushed BEFORE the job this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 03 6.0 overheats with hard acceleration, cools quickley after rpms drop, no degas puking, no smoke, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, no preformance loss, cooling fan on ALL the time, and no heat from the heater in the cab. It seems to be more temp sensitive after I did a turbo cleanning and an EGR deletion kit (didn't do an oil cooler rebuild). Any ideas?

This problem started when we took an "unloaded" trip over a mountain pass, stopped for diesel and snacks (apprx. 20 min.) on the other side. Then when I hard accelerated back onto the freeway the problem started.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
it shouldnt have happened that many times,im thinking fan clutch or sensor for fan.if you stop the truck will heat up faster due to no air moving through the radiator so when you get going again itll amplify a little and that should have been the first time you noticed it on after that if you were at a decent speed everything should have been fine.so like these guys are saying ect monitoring the coolant and oil would better narrow your problem.dumb question i know but you dont have a blanket on do you?ive seen people leave them on all year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No blanket. I used a laser temp sensor on the oil pan, radiator, and degas bottle. Oil pan was 198, degas was 142. This was immediatly after temp spike and then re-cool.

What has me baffled is the hot temps, but no heat in cab from heater.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
youre heater core is out if no heat in the cab.coolant low?usually when a core goes youll have coolant in the cab around the firewall.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
ive had em dump coolant with no steam

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ever figure it out?
I made my first attempt to tow my boat to my lake house today. Truck let me down once again. Running to the local lake around here, I noticed my temps climb very quickly when pulling the boat up hills, then always drops right back down. I only have one short section of highway when staying local, so all those trips only included speeds up to 55..
Today, I jumped on the highway to head south, and noticed that at speeds above 60 mph, the temps just continually climbed up to ECT 218-220 and EOT to 220-226. When I climbed the first big hill, they both spiked up to over 234, the dash gauge hit the red, and the check gauge light came on. That's all I needed to see to turn around and take the boat back home. Once I got off the highway and took to the back roads back home, temps went back down to 210/214 the whole time staying under 55.
I'm guessing I have a coolant flow issue, just not sure if I should start with water pump or radiator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GOT IT FIXED

My truck had the same issues. It also had a broken impeller on the water pump, the shaft would spin and the impeller would not.

If I had this repair to do over again, I would do it in this order:
1.) Check thermostat for proper temperature operation = Free if works
2.) Replace temperature sensor = $20 approx
3.) Pull radiator and have flushed and back flushed = flush $20 radiator $269
At this point your only the fan assembly and the back shround from the water pump
4.) Pull the water pump, mine broke without noise or leak, this is why I didn't pull it first, but no heat in the cab told my radiator guy that it was the water pump, both the radiator and heater core were wide open and clean.. NO heat in cab, no smoking at exhaust, and no puking is why I didn't believe Titus-Will Ford Dealership when they told me "HEAD GASKET",new water pump= $52
5.)Pull heater core and have flushed, new core= $40 approx
When you pull the hoses from the core be carefull of the clips that hold the hoses on, "Chilton's Repair Manual" said to replace the clips on re-installation, on my 03 you have to buy the entire hose, clips not available by themselves. One new hose= $75
The one other componet is the fan clutch, I'm not sure how you would test this, but an Honest mechanic should be able to diagnose this, new fan clutch =$300 approx.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thanks for the info. Only difference is I have heat in cab still. Makes me think it could be a clogged radiator, but I'm still leaning towards a pump issue. I'll make a decision and tear in to it next week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this is old but my truck is doing exactly the same thing! Poser, did you ever figure out what was going on? I noticed on my scanguage that ECT was 220 and EOT was 230 unloaded the other day. Stopped, found my coolant bottle blowing off a little, put some water back in and took it easy the rest of the drive. Coolant temp ranges between 213 and 188 and it does it very rapidly. I have my EGR deleted too. As long as I am pretty easy on it I don't have big issues but I don't like to take it easy haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts