Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look sometimes it's difficult finding the info you're looking for using the search function.

I have a Scangauge and when I'm driving to work, 45 minute drive, air temp 65 or so, going 70-75, I often get a coolant temp of like 186-188. I'll get a delta between 5-13. When it does hit 190 the delta seems to be 5-9 range.

I thought I read that the delta should be taken after hitting 190 and only after hitting that point.

It's somewhat hard to get the truck up to 190 at times. Weird?:dunno: Or do others have this same problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
New T-stat? Is it common for them to go out?
Yes, but thankfully they fail in the open position. The cheaper replacements may fail in the closed position. That could spell disaster. Spring for the Motorcraft and don't worry about the next thermostat failure, you might not notice it just like you did not notice this one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes get a new t/stat a stock one starts to open at 192.2* and is fully open at 219.2:doh:
2 stroker

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
under 190 the coolant and oil difference will be more than it would be when the coolant is above 190. There is very little coolant flow to transfer heat when the coolant is under 190. The difference does not really matter under 190.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Look sometimes it's difficult finding the info you're looking for using the search function.

I have a Scangauge and when I'm driving to work, 45 minute drive, air temp 65 or so, going 70-75, I often get a coolant temp of like 186-188. I'll get a delta between 5-13. When it does hit 190 the delta seems to be 5-9 range.

I thought I read that the delta should be taken after hitting 190 and only after hitting that point.

It's somewhat hard to get the truck up to 190 at times. Weird?:dunno: Or do others have this same problem.

Thanks
Your temps sound like mine, delta's n'all ..... nothing wrong w/ my stat.

SmokerSteve said:
under 190 the coolant and oil difference will be more than it would be when the coolant is above 190. There is very little coolant flow to transfer heat when the coolant is under 190. The difference does not really matter under 190.
This is a really good analysis.

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
The ECT/EOT delta is to be read when you are driving under HEAVY LOAD/FULL THROTTLE per the Ford TSB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts