Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed in here somewhere but I wasn't able to find it in multiple searches so I figured I would try to get it redocumented.
I just purchased a 06 6.0l and decided to partially BP it as the delta was at 16 when I bought it. I've gotten everything back together and running with a small exhaust leak and a pretty crazy base oil leak developed after the first test ride. It leaks real bad sometimes then just 1-2" dia spots other times. I searched and searched and though it was coming from the valve covr gaskets cuz I did do stand pipe and d plug upgrade.
I pulled the ficm(ficmfixer did a good job) and went ahead and pulled the turbo again to get a better look at the valley.
Long to short if its not too late. I think my leak MAY be coming from the oil cooler cover area. My question is: Is there any way I can crank the engine over to spot the leak without damaging injectors...or anything else. Putting it back together at this point seems counter productive.
My oil pressure gauge usually rides at 60 idling and will go up to 80 lb. driving or reving. Has been as low as 40.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I studied it a little more and decided that I would probably make a big mess if I didn't plug the turbo supply line. AND it wouldn't eliminate the turbo drain tube. I did notice the was a fair amount of oil on the turbo mounting pedestal. I didn't remember it being there on my first disassembly.

Is it common for substantial oil to come out of the turbo drain tube when removed or could this be my problem? If so, should I just reinstall and verify it connects properly.

I ran the truck for 10 minutes in 2 minute(est.) intervals before i ever drove it and it never leaked.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Did you make sure and replace the o-rings on the turbo drain tube. Also need to make sure the drain tube is seated properly. You'll know when they're seated correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace the o rings. I can't say for sure that it seated properly. The hpop end was out a little bit but it could have happened when I removed the turbo. And it wouldn't account for the oily pedestal. I guess I'll just reinstall it and see what happens. I hate doing all this guess work.
I read about doing a dye test. That may be my next step. Oh well, I'm getting quality practice I spose.
Thanks joe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts