Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, trying to figure out the mixture for using both of these - or the best combination of use.

Thanks in advance. Just trying to do 'preventive' maintenance as the winter comes and make sure that the truck has plenty of lubrication for the fuel in these winter months, even the summer months. I've got a lot of money tied up in this truck, more than any other vehicle I've owned - I'm sure almost everyone else on here does too. :respekt::noteworthy:

·
Mitch
999 Posts
I would use the white bottle of power service diesel at the suggested rate on the bottle. I believe 1 oz per 3 gallons. Then you can add 2 stroke up to a 1 oz per gallon rate. I usually go half that. The white bottle of diesel power is good as it has antigelling properties and cetane booster. The gray bottle has the cetane booster and I usually only use it the summer..

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
I use about 4oz each per 20 gallons. Not scientific, no supporting data, just what I use.
I usually fill up at about 1/4 tank which is ~20 gallons. I pour it in before filing the tank to help with mixing and, being in Florida, I only use the gray bottle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use 32 oz of walmarts supertech 2 cycle and 8-10 oz ofnthrpe grey diesel kleen per fill up (30gal tank). I am on the Virginia area on the coast, so a mix of cold but will use the white bottle as a prevtative during Dec to Feb. No issues so far Nd truck runs a tad quieter along with using archoil 9100 on the oil side.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try the Archoil 6200 for the fuel. I think that stuff did wonders for the engine--quieter, better throttle response, and less turbo lag. Maybe I've drank too much Kool aid but...I'm a believer in the Archoil nanobots.

Speaking of additives, not to hijack the thread, but do you also use the Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement (white jug anti gel for the winter) and/or two stroke with the Archoil 6200?

Answering the OP, I add the Power Services additives at the recommended dosages. I have the concentrated 1 gallon jug for 1000 gallons fuel. So that's .128 oz per gallon of diesel. (double for temperatures below 0*). I also add .75 oz of two stroke per gallon of diesel.

Can you have too much of a good thing?

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
i don't have a 6.0, but i use the small bottle of grey dk and a small bottle of supertech each fill up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I go the simple way. I buy the 16 oz bottles of TC-W3 and 32 oz of PS (grey/white depending on time of year). Save an old PS bottle to mix, add 8 oz PS and the 16 oz bottle of oil and shake it up. 29 gal tank.

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
I premix my bottles for summer and winter.
I carry 6 summer bottles and 4 winter bottles.
I use leftover quart bottles from work- Yamalube quarts of 4M oil.
They make it easy because the 10w30 bottles are blue, 5w30 is gold.

I mix 8oz of grey bottle Power Service with 24oz of Rotella TCW3 for summer bottles.
And 8oz of white bottle Power Service with 24oz of Rotella for winter bottles.
I always keep a bottle of the red Power Service in my tool box too for an emergency (havent needed it yet).

Injectors are noticeably quieter with the TCW3.

Every 4th or 5th tank I will just add a splash of Power Service on a fill up without any TCW3.
Its that old 50:1 ratio two stroke science- you dont always add the EXACT amount of fuel back in.
This stops me from over dosing on the TCW3.

·
Mitch
999 Posts

I mix 8oz of grey bottle Power Service with 24oz of Rotella TCW3 for summer bottles.
I always keep a bottle of the red Power Service in my tool box too for an emergency (havent needed it yet).

Every 4th or 5th tank I will just add a splash of Power Service on a fill up without any TCW3.
Its that old 50:1 ratio two stroke science- you dont always add the EXACT amount of fuel back in.
Now I like this. I might have to do some pre-mixing!

·
Registered
740 Posts

When you say "overdosing on TCW3" you don't mean in a negative way that affects the truck right? You're just talking for your mixture ratios?

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Yes, just speaking about over dosing the mixture.
If you add 24oz every fill up, some fill ups might be 26 gal, but others could be 20 gal.
Thats why every 5th or so, I just add PS.
Flushes the possible excess 2 stroke out.

·
Administrator
30,596 Posts
getting to be some expensive fillups with all those additives

I can see anti gel and the occasional treatment

but I just use gold flakes to keep my fillups expensive without the mess

·
Mitch
999 Posts
I actually don't use the additives every fill uo. Usually every 2 or 3 I'll dump some in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the information has been helpful. Just don't want to cause any harm to my truck, got a bunch of money tied of up in it within the first month or two of getting it.

I ended up doing as a few members have posted, per the usage on the Power Service (maybe a little more than what was required, I have a small measuring cup. :rofl: ). Then with the TC-W3 I did an oz to a gallon, maybe a tad more. At the end the combined of both fluids came out to be 20oz.

Took the truck for a drive into town just for fun, 15-20 minutes. Then back to the house. I noticed a difference in the sound of it, didn't seem like the engine was as loud as it usually is. Then on top of that it seemed like my RPM's stayed steady versus fluctuating like it has been doing when I pull hills. Stayed around 1800-2000 RPM vs jumping from 1800 to 2300. Maybe it was because I was actually taking my time and had just loaded the SRL+ tune the other day and it was still 'learning'. I was in the 8k tow tune from gearhead as I was towing all day yesterday, nothing heavy - just slab wood in a dump trailer and in the bed of the truck then had to run about 2 hours from home for a buddy to pick up a used vehicle he just brought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the information has been helpful. Just don't want to cause any harm to my truck, got a bunch of money tied of up in it within the first month or two of getting it.

I ended up doing as a few members have posted, per the usage on the Power Service (maybe a little more than what was required, I have a small measuring cup. :rofl: ). Then with the TC-W3 I did an oz to a gallon, maybe a tad more. At the end the combined of both fluids came out to be 20oz.

Took the truck for a drive into town just for fun, 15-20 minutes. Then back to the house. I noticed a difference in the sound of it, didn't seem like the engine was as loud as it usually is. Then on top of that it seemed like my RPM's stayed steady versus fluctuating like it has been doing when I pull hills. Stayed around 1800-2000 RPM vs jumping from 1800 to 2300. Maybe it was because I was actually taking my time and had just loaded the SRL+ tune the other day and it was still 'learning'. I was in the 8k tow tune from gearhead as I was towing all day yesterday, nothing heavy - just slab wood in a dump trailer and in the bed of the truck then had to run about 2 hours from home for a buddy to pick up a used vehicle he just brought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts