Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real loud raddling/knocking sound that was told was coming from Torque converter. So know im trying to figure out if theres any benefit at all going with a triple disc converter $495 or just a replacement oem $350 also heard of some 6.0 tc but not sure on prices yet. my truck has 300k miles with 6637 intake and php chip. Planning on hauling a 10k boat but not very often. Honestly currently not in the situation to spend more than i should, right now but am trying to get this done right. And my second question is should anything else be replaced/or rebuilt when ever changing a converter?(ex.transmissiion pump, filters,lockup valve, etc) I know theres similar threads out there but really would appreciate some help answering these questions guys.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
300k has the trans ever been rebuilt? I have an ebay special triple disk converter with the billet cover, been working great so far.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Why do it now? I'm on more than that and plan on leaving it till it blows.
Personally, I have a Factory Tech valve body and an external trans filter than I built just like Dieselsite's. If something grenades, that should stop debris from getting to other parts.
Other thing I would do is add a 6.0 trans cooler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure if the tranny has ever been rebuilt, iv had the truck for about a year now the truck appears to have been completly stock atleast until i got it. im only changing it because it is making a very loud rattle/knock that is driving me nuts and do want to end up having to rebuild my whole tranny yet. well atleast i think its the tc, im going to remove the transmission and start the truck to see if it goes away before i change it because no one has been able to pin point the actual source of the noise yet.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Oh gotcha.
I've heard of lots of 4R100's with the TC rattle. Mine kinda has it sometimes, but not terrible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine got it so i immedietly parked it and have been using my other car but everytime i seem to start it, it seems to keep getting worse so im dropping the tranny to see if it continues

·
Registered
140 Posts
300k has the trans ever been rebuilt? I have an ebay special triple disk converter with the billet cover, been working great so far.
which ebay vendor did you get your converter through and how much?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called a local shop around town that has built hight stall tc for my mustangs before and they just told me theyll sell me triple disc billet low stall converter for $350 turning in the core and he'll warranty it for 1yr. so i think thats going to be my best bet. but Is it recomended changing any seals while im already ther or maybe servicing tranny oil pump? im adding a 6.0 cooler but is an additional inline filetr recommended too?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not sure that starting the engine without a tranny or FLYWHEEL is a good idea. The flexplate is not a flywheel and I'd be worried about expensive damage.

·
Registered
411 Posts
a word to the wise, putting a new tc on an old tranny is a bad idea, your tc isn't putting out as much pressure as it should and with a new one your pressure is going to be higher, hence, you could break something in the tranny, I don't have any experience in this but have heard lots of stories about it. just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
I've heard of lots of stories.
Never flush your trans.
Don't flush if you haven't in 100k miles.
On, and on, and on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
And don't drive your truck, your Tranny may blow, lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol i have no choice i have to put another converter in cuz mine Is shot. it was confirmed today when tranny was removed and sound went away. guys i know the right thing to do is rebuild the tranny with that manny miles but i need to get that truck running right now asasp and as cheap as possible for now. when i gernade the tranny completly then it shall be dealt with lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts