Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kinda of stumped here, but it maybe just be a battery/charging issue, I hope.

I could use some help here:

Two days ago the wife goes to use my truck, tells me she gets some weird message and the truck won't start, does not even turn over. I come home from work, jump in the truck, it fires right up as usual sounds good.

Today, I get in the truck, start it up, fires right up as normal. Start the A/C, let it warm up while I grab the kids and get them loaded up. A few minutes pass and I jump in the drivers seat. Truck is running, seems fine, A/C is blowing, radio is on, scan gauge is on. But now I have the TBC Fault message, and all the gauges are dead, Tach, ect all limp bottomed out. The wrench is illuminated with the check engine light, and ABS light and battery. Check for codes on the scan gauge, nothing. Voltage is low, 11 some volts, but is this normal since the glow plugs are still activated?

Shut off the truck, go to restart, and I get the TBC Fault, and the same lights, go to crank the truck and nothing. I have the typical buzzing noises ect.

Get in the wifes car, leave for a few hours. Come home same thing.

So I check the voltage on both batteries after disconnecting them, both are at 12.5 volts.

The post were a bit messy so I cleaned them up.

I disconnected the trailer connector, it was pretty clean, cleaned it anyways, put some electric grease in there and buttoned it back up.

Wiggled the connectors on the PCM.

Checked the fuses under the hood, taking a very close look at #12 for the TBC based on other posts I read on here.

Nothing changes.

I grab my jump box and hook it up. The truck starts, no fault, but it barley started, as if the batteries were dead. My scan gauge will not connect. The message, mileage window is blank. And the tach is not working, fuel gauge is working, oil press gauge is good. And I have the wrench light, ABS, and check engine light.

Unplug the scan gauge and tach comes to life, all the warning lights on the dash go out, but the message window is blank. Plug the scan gauge in and again tach dies, and warning lights back on.

So where I am at now, pulled the batteries and I am charging them. I am really hoping this is just a bad batteries or alternator issue. According to my charger the batteries were pretty low (20%) but I know its not very accurate. If fully charging the batteries fixes the issue I will take them and the alternator in to be load tested.

Any other insight would be great!

The Truck:
2005 6.0 110k
No Tuner
Only mods are a bullet proof diesel oil cooler and EGR Cooler. Installed right after I purchased the truck last July. Truck has ran/started awesome since.

The brake controller was replaced last year when I bought the truck, the TBC fault was on when I test drove it. But it ran great, dealer replaced it, and the light has never came on since, and I have never towed with it since purchase.

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
have a very close look at the pins on the DLC. also the wiring to the DLC. try wiggling the wiring as well. see if that changes anything.
also, try lightly smacking the dash, above the gauge cluster. the connectors to it are pretty notorious for making badconnection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it fixed.

After charging my batteries the truck started fine and all was well. Plugged my scan gauge in and the fault came back with losing the gauges. Unplugged the scan gauge and it was fine. I'm running the blend mount with my scan gauge that has an extension cable. It looks like the extension cable has a short in it causing havoc on the truck. Running the scan gauge with just the original cable works fine. Some searching and I found a faulty scan gauge will cause this same issues I was having.

I got the batteries tested and I did have a bad battery and the other they said was ok but had very little life left. It makes sense now that just the little trouble shooting I did wore down the batteries.

So if you have some wierd electrical problems and run a scan gauge II try unplugging it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello folks . I have a 2005 f250 6.0 . I’m having this same issue with the TCM FAULT . my batteries are fully charged and All my fuses are good . When I turn the key 1 click all the gauges come on and everything is fine but when I turn it the 2nd click to crank it over I get nothing . I’ve willed wires , I’ve hit the dash , and I’ve even slammed the hood A few times lol . What should I do ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts