Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the first pull after adding Tony Wildman 4 position chip, gauges air intake and 3" downpipe on my 96 F350 dully with automatic, 4.10 gears. The 5er we pull and the truck is 18500 lbs, had it on the scale today.

About half the time when the truck shifts into drive it sometimes just slams into gear, the next shift or two is normal. These shifts were at 2500 to 2800rpm. I did notice this a couple times going into overdrive as well. When I manually shift it into overdrive, no problem. I have to use overdrive to tow otherwise I'm doing 2800 rpm at 55 and interstate driving won't happen. The rig tows really nice between 65 and 68, the rpm's have to over 2300 for better highway performanace. The other shifts are ok. The hard shifts did happen a couple of times over the last month but were really not noticable like they are towing.

The tranny was rebuilt 14000 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The o/d light will flash if the computer sets a tranny code. It will also set trans to max pressure and cause hard shifts. If you have hard shifts without the od light flashing, it's usually caused by broken springs in the accumulator valve body. It can also be caused by clutches burnt very badly. They slip until enough pressure builds up, then grab hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts