Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again. I would like to know how hard is it to take a 6.0 PSD apart. I taken a bunch of regular cars and trucks apart, but never a diesel truck. I just need to get to the HPOP to see if that stc fitting is broken or cracked and see what ever else is bad up in there. I changed out the oil filter because it would not get any pressure at the icp sensor. I have a mech. gauge hooked there and I charged the batteries real good. spin it over and no press. there or on the oil press. gauge on the dash board. So tomorrow I am going to press. check it with air. and see what happens. So any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hello all again. I would like to know how hard is it to take a 6.0 PSD apart. I taken a bunch of regular cars and trucks apart, but never a diesel truck. I just need to get to the HPOP to see if that stc fitting is broken or cracked and see what ever else is bad up in there. I changed out the oil filter because it would not get any pressure at the icp sensor. I have a mech. gauge hooked there and I charged the batteries real good. spin it over and no press. there or on the oil press. gauge on the dash board. So tomorrow I am going to press. check it with air. and see what happens. So any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike.
I'm not positive but I don't think the hpop has anything to do witg the lower engine oil pressure...

Someone will correct me if Im wrong

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
If you don't have oil pressure showing on the dashgauge, it sounds as though it is a low pressure oil pump problem. The low pressure pump pumps the oil through the engine, similar to a gas burner. The HPOP only supplies high pressure oil to operate the injectors.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you don't have oil pressure showing on the dashgauge, it sounds as though it is a low pressure oil pump problem. The low pressure pump pumps the oil through the engine, similar to a gas burner. The HPOP only supplies high pressure oil to operate the injectors.
This tells me I'm not as dumb as I look ha

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6.0 PSD

I do know that the HPOP and engine oil are different. And I know that the engine oil pump feeds the HPOP. But the HPOP should be getting a little oil from the oil pump, but I am not getting any pressure at where the icp sensor goes at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6.0 PSD Oil Pressure

Thanks for all of the info. Where should I start to look at first, I took the low pressure oil filter cap off to see if it was filling the housing up with oil, no dice. I set up a pressure gauge at the icp outlet to see what kind of pressure that I was getting there but too! no dice. BIG goose egg. So any help would would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you guys y'all are the BEST. Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2 pumps, hpop & the lpop are independant of each other. The lpop is crank driven on the front of the engine amd as such is virtually indestructable, with the exception of wear, and then hpop is on top in the rear of the engine in the center.. but to your problem, when you installed your mech guage whay did you do? check all aspects there and make sure orings are all in place , nothing is cracked, no leaks, no cracked lines. did you remove the entire oil filter/oil cooler assembly to install your guage...if you did was there oil in the reservoir beneath the cooler? stupid questions, but if it worked before, chances are its something you did when installing

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
The 2 pumps, hpop & the lpop are independant of each other. The lpop is crank driven on the front of the engine amd as such is virtually indestructable, with the exception of wear, and then hpop is on top in the rear of the engine in the center.. but to your problem, when you installed your mech guage whay did you do? check all aspects there and make sure orings are all in place , nothing is cracked, no leaks, no cracked lines. did you remove the entire oil filter/oil cooler assembly to install your guage...if you did was there oil in the reservoir beneath the cooler? stupid questions, but if it worked before, chances are its something you did when installing
Your LPOP is not anything close to virtually indestructible. They are subject more so to garbage in the oil system getting inside of them and tearing them up before the HPOP gets any of it. Needle bearings and the c-clips that hold the push rods in will destroy a LPOP in a quick minute if one gets released into the engine from failure of that part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to offend you Bryan.. any pump with debris such as a snap ring will tear itself apart.. I'm talking about a normal situation with proper maintenance and care. Ive seen pumps with 250,000 miles that show no signs of any wear other than light scoring. but everyone is entitled to their opinion

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Sorry TEO but it's not exactly a rare occurrence for these engines to drop a needle bearing or snap ring from a lifter and have it fall to the oil pan to be picked up by the LPOP and trash it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts