Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you may have read my thread that i started a couple days ago about a bigger turbo for a little more power for my truck....what about propane...would i have to go with bigger headstuds...would it be a waste of time if i didnt upgrade my injectors and turbo....i'm just tryin to get a more out of what i got i want to do more mod i just do not want to drop money in for headstuds for that much power. i've even thought about upgrading my fuel system...tell me what you think or what you think i should do because i'm lost at this point.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
if you have pmr rods head studs will be the least of your worries. propane is the quickest way to put a window in your block. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yea id go with the water/methonal injection...............................

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Most people really don't like propane as a big power adder. It's supposedly excellent for increasing mpg's though, but I wouldn't use it at the track or pulling the sled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yea if you want a window to look through your block propane is the way to go, on the other hand you want to add a little power and keep egt's in check water/meth all the way..............

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i really know nothing about water/meth can someone tell me about it...sorry i don't know that much about this stuff

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Not too experienced with it, but my father-in-law has been running a propane system on his PMR block for most of his 100,000 miles. He doesnt run it all out and has only done the track for about 3 or 4 passes. He mostly runs it light to help with MPG while towing or long highway runs to Florida. He doesnt run it daily, and rarely cranks it up though.

Just throwing that out there.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
You can window your block with any power adder, even more fuel, just to make that clear. I've never read anywhere that said propane will window your block a thousand times faster than anything else.

You're not going to put a hole in it running propane as a mpg booster, either. Used in moderation it will be fine. But, as I said I wouldn't pick it for big power gains at the track or hooked to the sled, or on a dyno.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You can window your block with any power adder, even more fuel, just to make that clear. I've never read anywhere that said propane will window your block a thousand times faster than anything else.

You're not going to put a hole in it running propane as a mpg booster, either. Used in moderation it will be fine. But, as I said I wouldn't pick it for big power gains at the track or hooked to the sled, or on a dyno.

ProPAIN... in any moderation equals high Cylinder pressures... Just a fact.

Dont do it.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
How different is it than N20 or W/M? Don't those raise cylinder pressures too???

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
How different is it than N20 or W/M? Don't those raise cylinder pressures too???

Its not, but Propane is VERY volatile in the motor...

I have tested Water/Meth and to 30% there is little if any changes or spikes in CP's, above 30% and it starts going up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so should i go with water/meth rather than propane is that was everyone thinks....

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I love my water injection. Over 100,000 miles with it...

Look here for a great kit,

www.ktperformance.net

Cooling mist is the kits I run now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you explain what it is like how does it work

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I'll get back to you on the water/meth... I just got REALLY busy now for the day! LOL

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought the H2O was just used to lower EGT's enough to run that much more fuel, which it is in most tractor/truck pull cases. BUT

It does wonders for my truck, and that is just running washer fluid which is about 15% meth. I am running the snows stage 2 without any of the electronic controls, just on and off with 2 injectors.

As long as I am pushing over 7psi boost I can start the pump, without adding any more pedal I get and additional 8-10psi of boost and the truck takes off pretty good, when I let it off it goes back to normal. I love it and will be playing with it more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have my setup set to tuen on two 12 GPH injectors at around 8psi and I am still amazed at how fast the boost jumps up to 10-12psi, and thats just on a 20% meth mix. It really makes my truck spool up quickly and it keeps my egt temps down.

I thought the H2O was just used to lower EGT's enough to run that much more fuel, which it is in most tractor/truck pull cases. BUT

It does wonders for my truck, and that is just running washer fluid which is about 15% meth. I am running the snows stage 2 without any of the electronic controls, just on and off with 2 injectors.

As long as I am pushing over 7psi boost I can start the pump, without adding any more pedal I get and additional 8-10psi of boost and the truck takes off pretty good, when I let it off it goes back to normal. I love it and will be playing with it more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to hijack,

"I have my setup set to tuen on two 12 GPH injectors at around 8psi and I am still amazed at how fast the boost jumps up to 10-12psi, and thats just on a 20% meth mix. It really makes my truck spool up quickly and it keeps my egt temps down."

Did you notice a big power gain also? I am considering running more methanol percentage and see what it will do! I also thought about atomizing other fuels into the charge air:dunno:

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I would go with water to begin with. I have always been under the impression that a little bit of water goes a long way to lowering EGT's along with helping to fight carbon buildup.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I didn't notice a huge power gain but I deffinitely gained some power. I was pulling a hill the other day at about 65 with about 10 psi and I turned the meth on without moving my foot at all I jumped right up to 75 and about 12psi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts