Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like Ford’s engineers dropped the ball with the new tailgates that have the push button instead of the handle. If your vehicle is broken into and locked, the vehicle’s alarm will go off but a thief is still able to unlock the vehicle and hit the tailgate button on the dash and open it. I keep tools and material in my truck so this is a major issue. My work vans do not allow the van’s rear or side doors to be opened by the door lock/unlock button in the cab. You either have to use the physical key to unlock the doors or the fob. Kind of annoying sometimes but knowing tools and materials are safe if the passenger compartment in the van is broken into is awesome. I have metal bulkheads in between the cargo and passenger area so thieves can’t get to the tools and cargo area easily.

Anyone have a workaround to make it so the tailgate can’t be opened by the button in the cab?

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
unplug the button and move it to a hidden switch, go one step further to make the switch only power with the key on.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unplug the button and move it to a hidden switch, go one step further to make the switch only power with the key on.
I like the power with key on solution. It’s already pretty hidden. Just annoying that it takes consumers to figure this stuff out.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
I hear ya my man, the higher trim level trucks are consumer grade IMO

For my personal rig I wired the work body locks and tailgates to an aux button on the aftermarket alarm remote and disconnect the obvious button for a hidden momentary plunger only powered by the key on.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the features that soccer moms are looking for in a truck especially after a 10-12 hour day but at the same time, I need what’s in my bed secured. If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t buy a tonneau cover. Even if it wasn’t tools and material, I still keep a matching 35” rim/tire as a full size spare but even guys with nice 5th wheel hitches probably don’t want those to go missing either. Seems like a huge oversight. Then again, as a tradesman, I should know better than to trust an engineer...

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
we tend to over analyze things during a coffee induced coma.

lol - glad I don't design for the automotive industry - i'll stick with the ol HVOC industry. People are really blind when it comes to that industry.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the features that soccer moms are looking for in a truck especially after a 10-12 hour day but at the same time, I need what’s in my bed secured. If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t buy a tonneau cover. Even if it wasn’t tools and material, I still keep a matching 35” rim/tire as a full size spare but even guys with nice 5th wheel hitches probably don’t want those to go missing either. Seems like a huge oversight. Then again, as a tradesman, I should know better than to trust an engineer...
Engineer's AND Architect's!!!
They Draw pretty $hit on paper BUT making it work in the Real world Umm well you Know!!!:wink:

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
and we are never wrong by the way, NEVER!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just keep wearing the white hard hat and telling yourself that! :haha:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the power with key on solution. It’s already pretty hidden. Just annoying that it takes consumers to figure this stuff out.
If you have upfitter switches you could use one of them to turn on the power to the tailgate switch.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
If you have a truck with the standard handle, they still break in, unlock the doors and the tailgate is unlocked. Not a much better situation.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have a truck with the standard handle, they still break in, unlock the doors and the tailgate is unlocked. Not a much better situation.
There’s not a keyed lock on the latched tailgates? I must be living in the past. I figured with a latch, they wouldn’t be power locking/unlocking.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like I need a tailgate from prior to 2017. Wonder if I can figure out which pin in the harness to pull out to disable this feature.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds like I need a tailgate from prior to 2017. Wonder if I can figure out which pin in the harness to pull out to disable this feature.
Why not just get a lockable tool box for the bed? wouldn't that be cheaper vs the alternative of a new tailgate? I don't know what they are called but aren't there the bed tool boxes that lay flat and go the length and width of the bed that are fairly flat and still give you the use of a bed.

Edit. Found a example of one
https://www.carid.com/decked/truck-bed-storage-system.html?offermpnid=647280058&view=123456&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlqfLuu3A5wIVlqDsCh0bVQNDEAQYAiABEgJJyPD_BwE

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not just get a lockable tool box for the bed? wouldn't that be cheaper vs the alternative of a new tailgate? I don't know what they are called but aren't there the bed tool boxes that lay flat and go the length and width of the bed that are fairly flat and still give you the use of a bed.

Edit. Found a example of one
https://www.carid.com/decked/truck-bed-storage-system.html?offermpnid=647280058&view=123456&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlqfLuu3A5wIVlqDsCh0bVQNDEAQYAiABEgJJyPD_BwE
I had a similar one made by Weather Guard, the Pack Rat, that was all steel. It was great for organizing small parts. The issue is there’s no room for reels of wire. They take up a ton of room. A topper is a better idea but again, I need a tailgate that can lock. With stripped copper at $3.50/pound at the scrappers, I can’t have full sets of #10awg or #12awg wire disappear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Since pretty most everything on these trucks are ran thru computers, maybe you can submit a suggestion to Ford for updated programming. I realize it wouldn't be immediate but who knows....they may incorporate it into a new software release for that security module.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
do you really think a topper is going to stop someone from breaking into your truck.

You should maybe look into a Ford transit or cargo van.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts