Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys. I have a buddy that has a 97 7.3 he came over earlier so we could fix a fuel leak. looked like it was just drain valve orings. got the fuel bowl out changed the orings as well as all other rubber fuel lines. while I was working on that my buddy was replacing the trim piece for the ecm cause he installed a chip about a week ago.

got the fuel bowl back in and everything buttoned up started the truck no leaks and tach was working.

after mounting the knob for the chip I started it and the tach has quit working. at first i was thinking maybe bent prong on ecm from replacing it but it was working when we first started the truck....

also somewhere under the fuel bowl it has strated spraying out fuel. I think it might be coming from where that metal line is pressed into the bottom of the bowl that runs up to the pressure regulator assy. if so can that be fixed? when i had the fuel bowl out i didn't see any signs of previous leaking from anywhere...

also for the tach I have no idea what happened. one minute it was working and now it isnt..

anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
check the mega fuses under the hood and im pretty sure the tach reading comes straight from the CPS. I didnt think the truck would run without a CPS but may be possible.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
it cant run with out the cps because thats what tells the injectors theres adequate rpm to fire so it has to be something else, it could be possible that you messed up a wire in the process of working on the ecm, check all the connections and fuses

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well got both problems solved.

the tach turned out to be a loose connector. my buddy did not get the bulkhead fitting tight on the pcm and i guess it was enough that it would run but the tach would not get signal..

as for the fuel leak took the bowl back out and found a hole in the bottom of the bowl... don't know how on earth it got there. heating element was in it's place so I don't think that had anything to do with it. looks like it might of just been a casting defect... :dunno:

n-e-hoo got it patched up so will see wants it dries fully..

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Glad you got if figured out. I know I'm late but I didn't have any useful information anyhow. :hehe:

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
glad its fixed, just be careful with that patch fuel bowl, keep an eye on it in the future, the fuel inside is pressurized anywhere from 30 to 70 psi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts