• I use Conventional

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ramsdell and myself are trying to get a better idea of what the members of PS are using, Synthetic or Conventional. If you would participate in the poll it would be great. Thanks for you time and vote.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just bumping to the top for some more votes.

Thanks to all that have so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I voted conventional just because I question how many synth oil changes I would have to go thru to flush all the dino out of the heads and HPOP res. Anybody have any suggestions on how to do that? How bad is it to run 15 qts synth with 2-3 qts old dino in it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I use conventional till 15000 miles then switch to synthetic. I been doin it that way with all my diesels. Always heard it was better to break a diesel in with conventional before switching if u plan on runnin synthetic. Dont know why or have any proof its better to do it thay way but so far i have not had any issues so stickin with that same game plan with my 6.7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I voted conventional just because I question how many synth oil changes I would have to go thru to flush all the dino out of the heads and HPOP res. Anybody have any suggestions on how to do that? How bad is it to run 15 qts synth with 2-3 qts old dino in it?
AMSOIL offers and I suggest with any vehicle that is making a change to do an Engine Flush. AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush does a lot more than just clean up sludge, varnish and deposits in the engine and transmission. It restores your vehicle to run like new again by increasing operating efficiency and reduce emissions. With powerful detergents it will help the new oil by getting out some sludge and deposits it can't get alone.

If your thinking of making this change this is my suggestion to you. As to how many synthetic oil changes to get the old dino oil out, Im not sure that I follow what your asking. To my understanding once you turn your vehicle off the oil runs back down into the pan. But I am new to the fords so if there is something I don't know please fill me in. My thoughts are if there is any oil left in the heads it would be less than a quart.

I use conventional till 15000 miles then switch to synthetic. I been doin it that way with all my diesels. Always heard it was better to break a diesel in with conventional before switching if u plan on runnin synthetic. Dont know why or have any proof its better to do it thay way but so far i have not had any issues so stickin with that same game plan with my 6.7
I have heard of several people doing this. I even did it on my truck not by plan just kinda happened that way. I will say that I have also had people to do a complete synthetic change over on day one. So who's right or wrong who knows. I feel that if you keep it full and fresh no matter synthetic/conventional or brand you'll be ok.

·
Registered
269 Posts
To my understanding once you turn your vehicle off the oil runs back down into the pan.
There is a lot of oil trapped in the heads in the injector oil rails on a 7.3 and a quart or two in the High Pressure Oil Pump reservoir. I think the manual says the engine holds 18 quarts but needs 15 for an oil change so I'm assumiing there is at least 3 quarts still in the engine that can't just be drained out. I just don't know how long or how much damage could happen with 15 qts of synth and 3 qts dino or if I could just do an oil change within 500 miles and not harm injectors.

I wouldn't be comfortable using the engine flush just because you can't possibly get all the oil out and I would be very concerned with injector damage with the HEUI system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a lot of oil trapped in the heads in the injector oil rails on a 7.3 and a quart or two in the High Pressure Oil Pump reservoir. I think the manual says the engine holds 18 quarts but needs 15 for an oil change so I'm assumiing there is at least 3 quarts still in the engine that can't just be drained out. I just don't know how long or how much damage could happen with 15 qts of synth and 3 qts dino or if I could just do an oil change within 500 miles and not harm injectors.

I wouldn't be comfortable using the engine flush just because you can't possibly get all the oil out and I would be very concerned with injector damage with the HEUI system.
You will not have damage with AMSOIL from the 3 qts of oil that is left in the motor. AMSOIL is compatible with other dino and synthetic oils. The only down fall is that you have 3 qts of old oil left in the engine which could shorten the life of any oil that you put in. Your other option to keep your oil clean is to install a By-pass System.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You will not have damage with AMSOIL from the 3 qts of oil that is left in the motor. AMSOIL is compatible with other dino and synthetic oils. The only down fall is that you have 3 qts of old oil left in the engine which could shorten the life of any oil that you put in. Your other option to keep your oil clean is to install a By-pass System.
That's exactly what I was wondering. Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's exactly what I was wondering. Thank you.
Your Welcome. I will also be checking on the engine flush issue. My thought is it will not be a problem because AMSOIL's new engine flush is detergent based not solvent based, so you should not have the nasty effects of the solvent running in your engine - for example eating seals. I will double check on this and let you know.

Mark

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I always run synthetic in all of my vehicles. Adds a little time to the oil changes and gets better mpgs. Plus they always run smoother and last longer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
441,000 miles on Rotella T 15W40. Have seen no need for Synthetic. The normal stuff works just fine. Just put in new glow plugs and under the valve covers are as clean as the day it was built.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts