Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last oil change I switched oil from motorcarft 15-40 to the Mobil one synthetic 5 40. I've noticed that with the synthetic my oil temps run about 5-10 degrees hotter. With conventional they run between 197-199 on the highway unloaded with synthetic there between 203-207 with the same conditions. I always thought synthetic was suppose to run a little cooler. My question is if this is normal or did I get a bad batch of oil or could this be the start to a new problem? Truck has 57000 miles and the current synthetic oil only had about 3000 miles on it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Mine didn't change temps at all. Keep an eye on it could be a number of other minor things like air temp hills....just a thought

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Has the delta changed as well or is it still the same?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that to but I still drive the same roads I did with conventional and the air temps about the same.
I might just try changing it back to conventional this weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
could be that you are starting to have oil cooler issues and it was just coincidence that it was right after you switched. I would just keep an eye on it. I guess it could also be an oil cooler sensor but I have no idea where that would be.

·
Administrator
30,488 Posts
I noticed a little higher than DINO also when I went to SYN T6 ?

and I have went back and forth between the 2 because I had a few freebies at Ford

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I noticed a little higher than DINO also when I went to SYN T6 ?

and I have went back and forth between the 2 because I had a few freebies at Ford
Did your delta between the coolant and oil change as well?

·
Administrator
30,488 Posts
I do not believe so ?

but I didn't keep any records .. I just noticed as soon as I switched ... first to royal purple.. but I had a bad oil cooler at that time ..

My EOT is elevated by a few degrees over DINO but now with a new oil cooler and bulletproof EGR cooler my delta's are within a few degrees

so I am not a good analysis other than noticing higher EOT right off the bat after switching between Dino and SYN ,,, I was looking because I expected the opposite

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it this oil change if your temps and deltas are reasonable. could be a number of things. Check for repetitive temp. variances over the next few oil changes. Change ever 5-7. We are all naturally paranoid. Keep an eye on her, and drive it like you stole it. my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts