Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to change my oil in the next week or so and i'm wanting to change to synthetic. i went to three different auto stores and none of them carried a synthetic 15w40 oil. they all had a 5w40, but they said it would be too thin. the only one i ended up finding was royal purple, but i'm not spending 130 bucks on oil. what are y'all running for your synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I have the dealership do it for $78 everytime.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'm running Rotella T6 5w-40. Once i get done playing with my injectors and HPO system i'm switching to Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Full Syntheic 5w-40, and i doubt i'll be running anything else. And my brother will eventually be running Amsoil synthetic 5w-40 in all 3 of his diesels(06 6.0, 06 CRD, 06 TDI).

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the dealership do it for $78 everytime.
thats a damn good price..its 110 everywhere i've looked here.

I'm running Rotella T6 5w-40. Once i get done playing with my injectors and HPO system i'm switching to Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Full Syntheic 5w-40, and i doubt i'll be running anything else. And my brother will eventually be running Amsoil synthetic 5w-40 in all 3 of his diesels(06 6.0, 06 CRD, 06 TDI).
see i was going to run the rotella t6 5w40 but they told me the 5w would be too thin. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Call your local dealer, one here offered 3 for price of $175+ tax, just try it out.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is that running synthetic?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Yeppers only thing I ever run since my f150

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm..i might have to check that out then.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
thats a damn good price..its 110 everywhere i've looked here.

see i was going to run the rotella t6 5w40 but they told me the 5w would be too thin. :dunno:
Doesn't listen to those tards. I got in an argument this winter with a bunch of dudes at a local O'Reily's. I blew my steering column up and had everything ready to go, but needed a steering wheel puller. I walked in and said i needed a puller, and you woulda thought i said i was going to shoot myself. They kept saying that my truck has an airbag, its gonna blow up, i'm gonna bust my face up, i'm gonna break my wrists, blah blah blah. Apparently the fact that i said i already had the cover off and was ready to pull the wheel, and had NO airbag wasn't good enough for them. :hehe: I do not take advice from any auto parts guys, except one guy at our local Napa where we buy everything from. Everybody else is just to stupid.

But 5w-40 is fine. Its actually better in the winter since its thinner than 15w-40. We noticed a big difference on my brothers 6.0 when it was cold. It would spin over and fire up quicker. But i switched over in the spring so i have no experience with my 7.3.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Delvac and Lucas syn additive everytime for the past two years!

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, well thats good to know guys. i guess i'll go pick up the rotella synthetic 5w40 and get it changed this week. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's your cold viscosity. Lower is actually better. During the summer months I run regular old Rotella 15w40 because a 15 weight oil at startup in summertime temperatures is no problem. 15W40 gets mighty thick during the winter before startup, and that's where the thinner-when-cold 5w40 really comes into play. You want to build oil pressure and deliver oil to wear components inside the engine as quickly as possible during startup (before the residual lubricant film is worn away by mechanical movement), and the oil with the lower cold viscosity will do just that. Once the oil warms, thickening polymers inside the oil chain together to create a 40W oil.

If you lived in Death Valley, you could probably get away with running straight 40W oil due to the temperature keeping the oil thin enough for safe startups. Look at a lot of the German manufacturers now. They're starting to specify 0W-30 and 0W-40 oil for their vehicles.

Running a 5W40 is NOT too thin for your 7.3, especially when it gets cold out. It's just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Watch running the amsoil in the VW. I don't remember it being labeled that it could be used in a diesel vw. I used to work at a vw dealer and seen what happens if they put the wrong oil in these things... I Could be wrong though. I was going to switch but don't remember seeing vw spec on it

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another entry for my new reality show idea - "AutoZtoners Say the Darnedest Things".....
:hehe: i got that same spill from autozone, napa, and o'reillys.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hahahahaha to thin???? Mine won't start below zero without 5w40! Runs great in summer too. If it's not going to get really cold before your next change I'd go for 10w-40 synthetic. It runs about $16 versus $21 for a gallon

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahahahaha to thin???? Mine won't start below zero without 5w40! Runs great in summer too. If it's not going to get really cold before your next change I'd go for 10w-40 synthetic. It runs about $16 versus $21 for a gallon
it never really gets that cold here. it gets down to the 30's BARELY in the heart of winter. now when i go home, thats a different story...but it needs to be changed probably within the next two weeks, so thats why i'm trying to figure this out. i think i'm going to end up going with the rotella t6 5w40. i was just really surprised when all the stores told me the same thing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I run 15w40 Wolfs Head synthetic. It runs great works great for me in the summer. I'm not sure how it will handle in the winter because I just changed to it this spring, but its also no where near as expensive as Royal Purple.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run 15w40 Wolfs Head synthetic. It runs great works great for me in the summer. I'm not sure how it will handle in the winter because I just changed to it this spring, but its also no where near as expensive as Royal Purple.
yeah, nothing is close to royal purple. they are proud of their stuff! it would've run me 150 bucks for royal purple once i got the oil and filter. there's no way i'm paying that much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts