Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Synthetic oil for 6.0L

32K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  scha0786 
#1 ·
Wanted to reach out and see what the masses recommend for a synthetic oil for a '06 F350 with a 6.0L diesel. I just put a new motor in my truck at 134Kmi and need to make this motor last. Years ago I used to race motocross and always ran Amsoil products in all my bikes. I swear by their products, but it's extremely expensive to buy 4.5 gal of Amsoil Syn diesel oil. Thanks for the help.

#24 ·
I just bought 4 gallons of this. First time Ive used this. Dave and Doug (gogo diesel) use it so I figured, why not.

So I have to ask, where in the crap did you get it for $18/gal..I paid like $32 a gallon.

#4 ·
Rotella T6 5w-40 is a great oil in general. Its one of the few diesel oils that you will find people running in their non-diesel car, truck, SUV, car and motorcycle.

#5 ·
X2 on the Valvoline Extreme premium Blue 5w40 full syn.

Amsoil is kinda spendy in my opinion, I'm sure there will be millions of posts of what people swear by and this and that blah blah but what it really comes down to is how you keep these 6.0L fresh on oil.

Our motors put oil thru EXTREME pressure boosting it into the 25k psi for the injectors. so to me the name of the game is find a reasonably priced syn oil and change it every 5k.

Remember to also run only OEM motocraft filters or Racor because ALL others are not to the same specifications as fords, they gots the patent on them. so like your WIX and FRAM are all different in either height or some form.

#20 ·
X2 on the Valvoline Extreme premium Blue 5w40 full syn.

Amsoil is kinda spendy in my opinion, I'm sure there will be millions of posts of what people swear by and this and that blah blah but what it really comes down to is how you keep these 6.0L fresh on oil.

Our motors put oil thru EXTREME pressure boosting it into the 25k psi for the injectors. so to me the name of the game is find a reasonably priced syn oil and change it every 5k.

Remember to also run only OEM motocraft filters or Racor because ALL others are not to the same specifications as fords, they gots the patent on them. so like your WIX and FRAM are all different in either height or some form.

??????????

#6 ·
Rotella T6 is what I'm going to use based on extensive reading. And if your motor is new you can stop a world of trouble by flushing out the Ford Gold Premium coolant and switching to an ELC compliant with the Cat EC-1 standard. This should prevent the oil cooler from clogging, which should prevent the EGR cooler from blowing, which should prevent the head gaskets from blowing.

#8 ·
I used Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5W-40 last time and I can't complain about it. I will most likely try something different next oil change though unless I can find it on sale again. Like mentioned above the key is keeping it fresh.

#10 ·
T-6 or mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5W-40. Both are great T-6 has been used by a majority of this forum and people I know with no issues and great results. Mobil 1's bread and butter is oil so you can never go wrong there. Amsoil is great but that price is not so great.

#11 ·
what the **** guys? I went to napa today to pick up a case of valvoline until the guy behind the counter said it was $28 a gallon!!!!

Last oil change I got it for $18.80, 9 bucks price increase? that's insane guess I spoke too soon, won't be running it at that price

#12 ·
Holy chit. Wonder why it went up 50%:doh:

#13 ·
Valvoline Extreme Blue, Mobil 1, or Rot T6. Oil changes at 7500 miles...my truck has 174k on it now. Original injectors are flat-lined on a power balance test with the Auto Enginuity. Just did studs and the tech was surprised at the overall condition.

Whatever you hear/read DO NOT exceed 10k for oil changes. The 6.0 chews up oil till it's 30w in no time.

#14 ·
HI guys
I hear a lot of talk about synthetic oil but what if I have been runing regular oil for the entire life so far at 183.000 miles should I change or does it not matter at this point, or will it actualy hurt the motor now. So far I have run the rotella 15w-40

#15 ·
You will be fine switching to synthetic, if fact, your truck will be happier.

#16 ·
T6 at Wally World in the low 20's. And a $1 off coupon on every gallon jug.....

#17 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The motor that was installed had 34,000 miles on it. The guy always ran Rotella with Lucas additive in it. I'm a FIRM user of synthetic's. Some will disagree, but I've had nothing but good luck with it. I'll try the Mobile having used their products before and the price isan't too bad.
I changed out the antifreeze to the orange stuff. The EGR was deleted a long time ago and put the delete kit on the new motor.
I only use Ford filters. I bought a Fram fuel filter a while back to try and save some $, and the damn thing didn't fit right. OEM isan't any more expensive so might as well use what it was meant for.

#21 ·
See Signature...

#26 ·
I ordered a case of motorcraft 5w40 synthetic just because it's the same price as valvoline pbe now

I'm having a hard time getting it in though, no one is stocking it, no ETA. I wonder if it's gonna be phased out soon

#31 ·
Just did an oil change with mobil 1 yesterday. Engine started and idled alot smoother today when cold and everything seems to be running smoother and quiter when warmed up. Engine seems to be likeing it so far. :thumb:

#32 ·
I personally cant afford to those kind of oil changes.

But i have been looking into oil bypass systems, even if i could push it to 10k or maybe 7500 I would probably switch. Some of these companies claim what like 50k miles (sorry, not doing that). Is this 10k a safe interval with a quality synthetic or is the lack of additives and/or shearing? Has anyone blackstone'd at such a long interval with a bypass?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.