Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2016 and have noticed that just about once a week when I start the truck the display will be blank for a couple minutes then I will get the sync screen and "sync scheduled maintenance" does this have to occur weekly? is there a way to change the schedule or force a manual update?

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
The "sync scheduled maintenance" is a nice way of saying "I didn't boot up properly so I'm rebooting"... They don't want you to know the system is acting up and not behaving as it should so they call it a "scheduled maintenance". There is no maintenance with MFT because it doesn't connect to wifi to download files or updates on its own.

I believe it was in v3.6.2 that they included a reboot file so the system reboots on its own if it doesn't start up within a X amount of time. Previously owners had to either pull the negative battery terminal(s), pull the fuse to MFT or insert a USB stick that you could download the reboot file onto so when you plugged it in, it rebooted.

Ever since 3.6.2 and then 3.7 and now 3.8, there have been very few performance issues like this.

First, pull the negative battery terminals together for 10 minutes. Let MFT completely reset on its own and see if that fixes it.

If you continue to have issues after that, chances are you have a bad APIM which is the brains to MFT. Think of it like the "blue screen of death" that PCs get once and a while. Rebooting the computer will fix it many times. IF the battery cables don't do the trick, your dealer can swap it out under warranty.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, my 2011 was flawless, I trade it in and now I have the Dell of truck computers!

Thanks for the info I will try pulling the cables this weekend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "sync scheduled maintenance" is a nice way of saying "I didn't boot up properly so I'm rebooting"... They don't want you to know the system is acting up and not behaving as it should so they call it a "scheduled maintenance". There is no maintenance with MFT because it doesn't connect to wifi to download files or updates on its own.

I believe it was in v3.6.2 that they included a reboot file so the system reboots on its own if it doesn't start up within a X amount of time. Previously owners had to either pull the negative battery terminal(s), pull the fuse to MFT or insert a USB stick that you could download the reboot file onto so when you plugged it in, it rebooted.

Ever since 3.6.2 and then 3.7 and now 3.8, there have been very few performance issues like this.

First, pull the negative battery terminals together for 10 minutes. Let MFT completely reset on its own and see if that fixes it.

If you continue to have issues after that, chances are you have a bad APIM which is the brains to MFT. Think of it like the "blue screen of death" that PCs get once and a while. Rebooting the computer will fix it many times. IF the battery cables don't do the trick, your dealer can swap it out under warranty.
Subscribe: having sync issue. Gonna try the neg terminal tomorrow. Found this searching for the answers...

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
I recall you can force a reboot by pushing the Power button and Forward Seek if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just upgraded to Sync 3 because I couldn’t live without Apple CarPlay. If anyone wants to make an offer for my Sync 2 with Nav, message me.
Any chance you have the parts numbers for the parts you used in the Sync 3 conversion?

And btw you have private messages blocked. Otherwise I would have sent you a PM with my question.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry about that. I’m new and didn’t realize it was blocking messages. I think I clicked the right buttons this time. Haha.

For the part numbers, check out the thread titled “Upgrade to Sync 3”. I posted the part numbers in there. There is also good info from others in that thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
I guess my concern comes about with the upgrading from Sync 2 to Sync 3 is should the APIM need a software up date.

I believe some of the older Sync 3 APIM's would not let you use FordPass to remote start the vehicle. Later years allow it, I know my parents have Sync 3 in their 2016 Escape but to add remote start you have to add the VSS and RMU kits.

Should there be a SW update to allow older cars to do FordPass remote start, how would one perform it? The Ford IDS is probably not going to let it happen since the VIN is for a Sync 2 or maybe it will try to update it with Sync 2 software?

This also give me concerns on what APIM part numbers one should be seeking to use for the update.

Yeah. Yeah. Some one always has to toss a monkey wrench into the cogs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as updates, since i used infotainment.com, they work with me on updates.

For the Ford Pass Smartlink system, I could be wrong, but I think it’s ties to the OBD II system. For people who want to add it, it’s a dongle that connects to the OBD II port. I’m not sure the radio APIM has any connection to the smartlink system.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
There is a FordPass OBDII dongle for the older trucks and cars to give one the same or similar functions as FordPass with Sync 3. There is a monthly/yearly fee for the dongle.

But for the Sync 3 equiped vehicles, it is suppose to remote start, maybe windows and some other items via your smartphone without a fee. I think the earlier Sync 3 didn't have this function.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked up the tech features for a new/2018 Explorer, and what I read leads me to believe the Sync Connect is a separate module from the Sync 3 radio/APIM. It is an integrated feature vs a dongle, but I don’t think it resides in the APIM.

The description states it’s a complimentary service for the first 5 years, and then becomes a pay service.

I don’t think you should be concerned about not getting it as update if you upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3, as a Sync 2 vehicle won’t have the Sync Connect hardware installed. I have Sync 3 with one of the latest OS version 3.0 and still can’t use Connect because i don’t have the hardware for it in my 2015 truck. If you are doing the upgrade and would like the Sync Connect features, you would need to buy and set up the dongle, which could be done with a Sync 2 or 3 radio/APIM.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
I don't need the dongle even if i upgrade. I had the phone app for remote start and found it not worth the cost. I will stick with the bi-directional remote start which i consider better than the standard remote start you can get when i ordered the truck.

The dongle, per the press release a few weeks ago, is for the 2011-2016 trucks and similar Sync 2 vehicles and possibly older vehicles also.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
1 - 13 of 13 Posts