Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right place. My 2018 F350 greets me with “SYNC can check for updates when connected to a WiFi network” every freaking time I start it up. I have to "punch" the screen to get it to go away, every freaking time. Surely there is a way to stop this message. Surely. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? I don't want to check for updates every freaking time I get into the truck. Help please.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hope this is in the right place. My 2018 F350 greets me with “SYNC can check for updates when connected to a WiFi network” every freaking time I start it up. I have to "punch" the screen to get it to go away, every freaking time. Surely there is a way to stop this message. Surely. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? I don't want to check for updates every freaking time I get into the truck. Help please.
You can do a few things to make this go away. In ANY of these circumstances, set your truck up PRIOR to starting an update. Climate, radio, whatever. DO NOT touch a single button anywhere. Do not adjust the radio volume or even open the door during an update. Just relax, let it run and make sure you're good to go before you start an update.

1. Update Sync through a USB stick. Works well. However, if an incremental update comes out and you're connected via your home WiFi, your truck will get confused and do what you're describing.
2. Connect to your home WiFi for updates. -Not good. Skip this if at all possible.
3. Make your phone a WiFi hot spot and connect Sync through it. Allow any updates to go through your phone, IN YOUR DRIVEWAY, without driving or anything as described above. However, if you do not have unlimited data, this will cost you on your cell phone data plan.

I have unlimited data. My home WiFi was more than strong enough to connect in my driveway, but I kept getting update errors and the same crap you're getting. So I updated Sync via a USB stick. This worked for the big update. However, I kept getting that error message you talk about. Then, I decided to try updating over my Cell via hot spot. No more "Sync can check for updates" BS. I set up my cell as a WiFi hot spot, had Sync check for updates after entering my https://owner.ford.com/ login and password and now, no more of that crap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will do that tomorrow during lunch. Ironically, I just downloaded an update on a stick today but didn't have time to update my SYNC.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thank you! I will do that tomorrow during lunch. Ironically, I just downloaded an update on a stick today but didn't have time to update my SYNC.
I should have known. This morning, my truck started doing this again. I'm going to dig into the settings and see if there's a way to turn off wireless updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that stinks. Ford built this incredible truck but stuck a dumb message like that on the screen. Whoever wrote that code needs to be fired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found it! Go under Settings on the Sync screen. Then General. Drop down to Automatic Updates. There is a slide switch. Turn it off. Messages are gone. I suppose I will have to turn it back on to auto-read a thumb drive update, but for now, I am a happy owner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I found it! Go under Settings on the Sync screen. Then General. Drop down to Automatic Updates. There is a slide switch. Turn it off. Messages are gone. I suppose I will have to turn it back on to auto-read a thumb drive update, but for now, I am a happy owner.
Yep, figured that out while making a lot of stops yesterday and got pissed with it coming on after every re-start. I don't know if it will have to be turned back on for a USB update. I'll hate that bridge when I get there. lol

Reactions: gypsees

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you do the thumb drive update? I am connected to my home WIFI as I have a very strong single in my driveway. However, when I click on "check for updates" the truck looks but then all it does is read "The last update check was 11-18-18". Not sure why it does not read the current date that I tried to update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having the same frustration with the "update message". I'm going to try some of these options to get it to stop. Still not sure how to do a "thumb drive update"???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did the USB update on my 2016 Expedition. It took FOREVER and gave me some errors, but after a shut down and restart it's all good. Never could get WIFI update to work. Will have to see how the 17 F250 does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts