Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, there was a code but I can't remember the exact number and eventually it will go into reduce power mode due to the shavings clogging the filter. You should see metal flakes in the fuel filter bowl

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My situation is this: The truck sat for about 2 months. When I came home it fired right up and shut off liike 2 seconds later. Batteries went dead trying to restart it. Charged batteries. truck would turn over but not start. Batteries died after a few attempts. Took batteries to station to get a better charge. Truck turns over and sounds strong but still will not crank. No codes. No messages. I am hoping the batteries are just too weak to start but am scared it may be a fuel pump issue?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
My situation is this: The truck sat for about 2 months. When I came home it fired right up and shut off liike 2 seconds later. Batteries went dead trying to restart it. Charged batteries. truck would turn over but not start. Batteries died after a few attempts. Took batteries to station to get a better charge. Truck turns over and sounds strong but still will not crank. No codes. No messages. I am hoping the batteries are just too weak to start but am scared it may be a fuel pump issue?
Sat for 2 months? You probably have gummed up fuel and not charge. Change the fuel filters and fill the tank :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mu uncle came over and load tested the batteries for me, they seem fine. He could also hear the fuel pump turn on when i put the key in th eon position so hopefully that isnt the issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mu uncle came over and load tested the batteries for me, they seem fine. He could also hear the fuel pump turn on when i put the key in th eon position so hopefully that isnt the issue.
That's your low pressure pump that you hear but the high pressure pump is the one that is notorious for going out

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is the high pressure pump at the DFCM? If so that is the one he heard. Where is the low pressure pump located?
The one Larry described is your low pressure pump and it is mounted on the drivers side frame rail. That's the one that whines when you turn the key. It supplies the HPFP that supplies the injectors and so forth

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one Larry described is your low pressure pump and it is mounted on the drivers side frame rail. That's the one that whines when you turn the key. It supplies the HPFP that supplies the injectors and so forth

Sorry for all of the questions, but where is the high pressure pump? Can you usually here it?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No, it's below the lower manifold in the engine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also after trying to crank a hand full of times and doing the ke on key off thing a couple of times I noticed the dash lights dimming the last time i tried to crank. Could it be a battery issue after all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know after changing fuel filters I usually cycle the fuel pump a good number of times to try and prime everything back up (I even pre-fill the oil filter from my 7.3 habits) and it cranks about .5 seconds longer than normal operation.
Does your scan tool have any datalog streaming? May be worth while to check some pressures to see if it's getting what it needs when cranking.
Also, newer vehicles hate sitting. I left mine sit for about a month and both batteries were dead (brought them back from 4V lol) and have been fine since. If I don't drive it at least once a week I'll let the remote start run for 15 minutes to keep her up and fresh. My 7.3 sits for much longer (and is a manual so not remoting it) but has some big Optima deep cycle batteries in place and those things are beasts (started at -30F, never plug it in, to see if it was not gelled or would warm up, gelled and died 30 seconds later, 6.7 was gelled and would not supply enough fuel past idle), they are way to tall for the 6.7 though :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts