Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2005 6.0l crew cab auto 4x4 Lariat with 96,000mi. As some know the truck is getting head gaskets ARP studs, EGR delete and oil cooler with updated sct fitting, SCT from IDP. My Question is do I have to many miles on this truck to switch to the synthetic 5w40?
Thanks
Dave
And thanks to all with the help with my first diesel.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You never have too many miles on it to switch to a better oil. Congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will be switching when I change the oil supposed to have the truck back this week depending on heads (if they are warped or not I am guessing they are, the last owner traded in because they were blown so no telling how long they drove it like that and I drove it like 4 days then took it back to get it checked out. I have had it 3 wekks and drove it 4 days) I know it will be good to go with the upgrades so I am like a kid at Christmas:icon_ford::woot:

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2005 6.0l crew cab auto 4x4 Lariat with 96,000mi. As some know the truck is getting head gaskets ARP studs, EGR delete and oil cooler with updated sct fitting, SCT from IDP. My Question is do I have to many miles on this truck to switch to the synthetic 5w40?
Thanks
Dave
And thanks to all with the help with my first diesel.
You are definitely on the right track. These motors love 5W40 synthetic oil. I've run both Mobil 1 TDT and Rotella T6. My truck seems to prefer the Mobil 1. With Rotella T6 it had a slight miss when cold which I attributed to one or two injectors experiencing stiction. No matter what oil you decided upon, I strongly recommend changing it at 5K intervals - and always use motorcraft filters.

These trucks are hard on oil, and oil is cheap considering the cost of injectors.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Same here at 85000!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
:D I did mine at 114,000! Do I get a prize? :lol:

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I'm also switching over to Rotella-T6. Gonna try this out for a few oil changes and see how the truck does. I would also recommend trying out some Rev-X whenever you do your oil change. It's supposed to work miracles for your injectors.

You can find them online (eBay) or you may be able to find them somewhere locally. They usually run somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$40 per 4 oz. bottle. Two 4 oz. bottles make up 1 treatment. Just pour it in with your oil during oil changes. I'm also going to try this for the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts