Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 08+ tailgate and just wondering if it is possible to switch my old cylinder lock to the new tailgate or if I can go to the dealership and get one? Also, what all is needed to get it to work on an 05?

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I did mine at a local locksmith. They only charged me like $20 to "refit" my existing handle lock to my key. Since you still have your old handle... maybe they might charge less. Call a local locksmith - don't go to the stealership. :thumb:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks bud. I'll give that a shot

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Yeah man, no problemo!

·
Registered
634 Posts
You can switch your old existing lock cylinder into the 08 tailgate in a matter of minutes. Remove the access panel on the tailgate to get to the back of the handle and you will see the lock cylinder is just held into the handle with a metal clip...pull clip out and remove lock cylinder....install your old lock cylinder and replace metal clip.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
You can switch your old existing lock cylinder into the 08 tailgate in a matter of minutes. Remove the access panel on the tailgate to get to the back of the handle and you will see the lock cylinder is just held into the handle with a metal clip...pull clip out and remove lock cylinder....install your old lock cylinder and replace metal clip.
Ah, there ya go. I knew it was simple but wasn't really paying that much attention whenever the guy was messing with mine, but it took him virtually no time at all to pull my lock cylinder out. Thanks for the info! :thumb:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thanks bud. I wasn't sure if the locks were interchangeable. Good info :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts