Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8" lift with 20x37" tires (procomp xx coilover setup ,05' f 250 diesel 4x4)the steering is fine until I get into freeway speeds it does'nt seem to track straight when i move the steering wheel it seems I can feel a little lag I can even say that it feels like I have too much play in the steering wheel.The guys that installed it say that its not going to feel like a stock truck. They said I need to get used to the wider tires & the actual lift.They did check and drive the truck and said that it responds just fine when you move the steering wheel even at HWY.speeds.Is this normal with lifted trucks?Thanks in advance for your responce ,much appriciated!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i had a 8" plus 3" body on my old stroke but it had leafs up front. was runnin 38's on 20x12 rims and it drove perfect. sounds like they didnt do somethin right or you have a worn part. maybe someone else with your similar setup can help you more. :bump:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine was loose on my 01 and it was the drag link end (or tie-rod end) Ive seen it called 10 different things. But its the bar that connects to your passanger side knuckle and Pitman arm so check both out.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Where did you have it installed at? A shop that does these regularly or one of there first?

It could be a few things. These are the first basic things that can be wrong if problem is in the front end.

-Tire pres.
-Alignment-- might not have enough caster or toe is not right.
-Front axle might not be center under truck.

From what my lead guy here has talked about is the 8" Pro Comp uses the same radius arms from the 6" kit and just has a taller coil over in place pushing down more so it make the axle turn more on its face (to much caster).

Hope this helps...

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Oh ... and I have also seen where a shop doesn't have the right size socket for the pitman arm nut and they don't get the pitman arm nut torq right because they use a crescent wrench. That you can see by having some one turn the steering wheels back and forth real short to see if the arm is moving on the splines.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Where did you have it installed at? A shop that does these regularly or one of there first?

It could be a few things. These are the first basic things that can be wrong if problem is in the front end.

-Tire pres.
-Alignment-- might not have enough caster or toe is not right.
-Front axle might not be center under truck.

From what my lead guy here has talked about is the 8" Pro Comp uses the same radius arms from the 6" kit and just has a taller coil over in place pushing down more so it make the axle turn more on its face (to much caster).

Hope this helps...

Nor-Cal Nick
Oh ... and I have also seen where a shop doesn't have the right size socket for the pitman arm nut and they don't get the pitman arm nut torq right because they use a crescent wrench. That you can see by having some one turn the steering wheels back and forth real short to see if the arm is moving on the splines.

Nor-Cal Nick
that is why I go to this guy and only this guy for any suspension/lift stuff. Always get's it right. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone I desided to take it to another shop mabey 4 wheel prts. in temecula . Hey Nor Cal thanks for all your knowlege to bad I live in So Cal or I would take my truck straight to You

1 - 7 of 7 Posts