Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 01 f350 PSD and when I go over or rock the truck there is a clunking noise at the sway bar and whatever connects the sway bar to the frame. My question is do I need a new bushing to go in there or do I need to replace the piece that go to the frame, The only reason I think this happened is because the AC condensation drips down on it and it rusted up a little.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
you can replace the bushing or the whole link. Neither is very expensive

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it a DIY job or should I have someone do it? Should I replace both or just the one side

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Links are pretty easy should not be a problem to do on your own. Shouldnt need an alingment either

·
Registered
360 Posts
You'll spend more time getting your tools out and cleaning up then it will replacing the link. Mine started doing the same thing and it ended up just being loose. So I threw some loctite on it, tightened it up pretty snug, and it hasn't made a single sound since.
And you won't need an alignment...

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I remember right, checker only wanted like 25 bucks for an end link...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
good question.. i would say new bushing.. then an alighnment right? wouldnt that throw your alighnment off a little i think
Sway Bar has nothing to do with the alignment. How ever if the sway bar bushings are bad I bet there are other things in the front suspension that need attention. Shocks, shock bushings, tie rods, ball joints, drag link, things like that. Which those would throw your alignment off.

The only thing the sway bar is for is to prevent extreme body roll. How ever when it is doing its job. It is also preventing wheel travel in the suspension. That is why there are sway bar quick disconnect kits for popular off road vehicles.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Is it a DIY job or should I have someone do it? Should I replace both or just the one side
Replace all six bushings for the sway bar. Not just the drop link bushings but the other two bushings as well. Your already under there so might as well do them too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have the partnumbers for the endlinks or bushings? I have found that everyone except the dealer has the wrong size, mine are about 12" eye to eye and one end is kinda like a tie rod end while the other is a hole. The round ends are close to 2" diameter rather than the ones at places like advanced auto which are closer to 1". I was planning to put energy suspensions bushing kit in but then found this :
"The Energy Suspension sway bar endlink grommets will not fit Ford OEM endlinks with these OEM part numbers:
1C3Z-5K483-BA for right side
1C3Z-5K483-BB for left side
used on the FRONT sway bars of these vehicles:
2000-2005 Excursion 4WD
2000-2004 F-350 4 WD, w/ leaf springs.
1999-04 F-250 & Super Duty w/ leaf springs.
2000-06 2 WD monobeam axle.
We do not have any bushings that can repair this style endlink."

Which contradicts the 99-04 description.....
Any options other than dealer?
my truck is 2000 f250 4x4 psd crew longbed srw lariat
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
326 Posts
sway bar noise

Energy suspension bushings kits:hehe:
I saw that...They listed dozens then said not for ford.....................yet in all that I saw 1.Only one for 199 on sale.
Be carefull out there.:doh:

·
Ihre Mama mag mich
550 Posts
get the energy ones cut off thr factory eyes nd weld some sch80 1.875id on there done!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anyone have the partnumbers for the endlinks or bushings? I have found that everyone except the dealer has the wrong size, mine are about 12" eye to eye and one end is kinda like a tie rod end while the other is a hole. The round ends are close to 2" diameter rather than the ones at places like advanced auto which are closer to 1". I was planning to put energy suspensions bushing kit in but then found this :
"The Energy Suspension sway bar endlink grommets will not fit Ford OEM endlinks with these OEM part numbers:
1C3Z-5K483-BA for right side
1C3Z-5K483-BB for left side
used on the FRONT sway bars of these vehicles:
2000-2005 Excursion 4WD
2000-2004 F-350 4 WD, w/ leaf springs.
1999-04 F-250 & Super Duty w/ leaf springs.
2000-06 2 WD monobeam axle.
We do not have any bushings that can repair this style endlink."

Which contradicts the 99-04 description.....
Any options other than dealer?
my truck is 2000 f250 4x4 psd crew longbed srw lariat
Thanks
Ryan
Check with energy suspension parts.Check with on line chat. Check the build date.They got what you need.My build date is 3/98 and its a 99.Thats no problem. However ,since I didn't have one to begin with.Im looking for what the hardware is that connects to the bushing bracket on the passengers side.

Any Ideas,the dealer gave me a schematic ,but it doesn't list the brackets connection on the passengers side.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
4.5192 energy suspension is the smaller early99. The later ones like 01 with the tie rod type end uses a bigger one. I will find that part number. But you no longer will have a pivoting link. It will be nut and bolt with the bushings. Thats whats in mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts