Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 02' 7.3L with the 6-speed manual and 90k. The manual has been great, but I'm getting lazy and thinking of switching to an automatic, what are my options for an auto. tranny and what else would have to be modified/changed, ECU, programmimg, etc.?

One other thing, what kind of $'s am I looking at?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any input at all would be great!

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I've been looking into this for my truck, but going to opposite that way you are (auto to manual). While things are a little different for the 6.0, most is the same. You're going to obviously need an auto (I don't remember the number), then the PCM, a wiring harness, flywheel, maybe driveshaft(s), transfercase that mounts to an auto (the input shaft is different, for the 6.0 at least), steering column, sheet metal to plug that hole in the floor, new carpet, and some time. There may be more, but that all I can think of right now. I have been told, that the best way to do it, is to by a donor truck to swap all you need. You could put the manual back into the donor (twice the work), and get most, if not all your money back :dunno:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Easy... find a member on here who wants to swap to a manual in their auto truck (like me) and swap with them. Where are you located at?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
You won't have any trouble finding someone to do the swap. Most want the 6 speed. If I were you I would want a BTS for my 6 speed, one bullet proof trans for another. The easiest to buy a donor as already mentioned and strip everything you need off of it. Actually the easiest is to sell your manual truck and just buy a automatic. Good luck.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Where ya at. ill swap ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts