Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 CCSB and it has the stupid IFS under it with 4.11's. I found a solid front axle to put under it. Is it possible to run a different gear ratio or is that a no-no? Are the front and rears supposed to be matched up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
They need to be the same or really close. Like 4.10 up front and 4.11 in the rear. You can install the axle and leave the drive shaft out tell you can get funds to swap the front or rear gears depending on which ones you like better.

Reactions: L84HNTN

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Yup they gotta match or you will have an expensive explosion. I think with 4.10 they are both 4.10 but with 3.55 the front was actually 3.54 and the rear was 3.55 for some reason. Decide which ratio is best for your application then regear one or the other accordingly. If you can't afford to regear right now, go ahead and do the install but leave your front driveshaft off until you do regear so that even if someone does try 4x4 there will be no harm done.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yup they gotta match or you will have an expensive explosion. I think with 4.10 they are both 4.10 but with 3.55 the front was actually 3.54 and the rear was 3.55 for some reason. Decide which ratio is best for your application then regear one or the other accordingly. If you can't afford to regear right now, go ahead and do the install but leave your front driveshaft off until you do regear so that even if someone does try 4x4 there will be no harm done.

4.10 rear 4.11 in front. I just did mine last fall when I did d60 swap.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
There ya go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts